Weird (Possibly Memory?) Issue

Now shut up about the proprietary parts, as this is and had been common practice since well before you were born!
Uh, no. Like I said, a few years ago everything in OEM machines conformed to the standards. They used removable I/O shields, standard ATX power supplies, etc. The only reason to change this is because the OEMs are greedy and want people to throw away their computers and buy new ones all the time.

@Sky-Knight Again, I'm not talking about SFF towers. SFF towers have always used small power supplies and that's completely fine. But they use these SFF power supplies even in mATX sized cases nowadays.

This is the kind of garbage I'm talking about:

It's an mATX sized case with no removable I/O shield and a crappy 250w SFF power supply. The whole computer is basically disposable.

@sapphirescales:

As per usual, you are delusional. There has never been a time when each and every component, and particularly in high-end machines, has been off the shelf in recent years.

Your tantrums are characteristic of a very ill-informed five-year-old, and betray a complete ignorance of the industry as a whole over a long period of time. Of course, as someone said earlier, we all "consider the source" when it comes to your rants, which are almost entirely baseless and willfully ignorant.

@sapphirescales Ahh yes... I see what you mean.

The reason Dell is doing that is popularity. No one orders the minitowers anymore, it's all a volume game. So now it's gotten to the point where if you want the mini-tower, you wind up with an SFF in a mini-tower case. That is to say, it's only cosmetically a minitower.

But if you want a mATX device these days the only way to really do it is to white box it. But my clients don't WANT those. They want a monitor stand that happens to be a computer. So SFF it is!

P.S. Everyone knows anything with an Inspiron name on it is junk... That's Dell's cheap line for the tightwads. Let them all have the garbage they're looking for! Also... I'll bet a quick treatment with my drill would get a TFX supply in there.

There has never been a time when each and every component, and particularly in high-end machines, has been off the shelf in recent years.
I have an HP Envy mATX desktop with a 7th gen i7 and it has all standardized components. I know because I just replaced the motherboard, processor, and power supply and upgraded it to a Ryzen 5 3600x a few months ago. I bought the thing from Costco like 3 years ago. Now though they all use those cases with permanent I/O shields and crappy little 250w power supplies that can't be upgraded. I'd never buy an OEM machine nowadays. This is what my HP looks like on the back compared to what they have now:

rYttliK.jpg

4nU85d7.jpg

They're f*cking garbage. The case is the same size. There's NO reason to do this except to screw you over when it comes time to upgrade or repair your computer.

A lot of the businesses in my area tended to go with Dell Optiplex series over the years. Still see lots of 3020's and 3040's working perfectly fine. Some have upgraded to maybe like the 3070 or 3080. I just keep a couple 3020's and 3040's on hand to sell and or swap parts if needed. Most parts can be found pretty inexpensive through ebay. Only once in a while do I run across someone that truly needs a high end workstation like a Dell Precision class or Custom built. I really like what Velocity Micro has to offer for customs. Pretty pricey but looks like great quality.

@lan101 Even laptops can last a good decade if they're taken care of. On average computers last years before there's a problem. But not everyone is so lucky, and a percentage of computers fail prematurely. It's important that a computer is repairable and upgradeable so that in the event of failure or when the need for an upgrade arises you're not forced to buy a whole new computer. The problem is, repairable and upgradeable computers aren't conducive to increasing the bottom line of greedy corporations, so they've devised a way to make their products disposable. I don't know what's worse, these OEMs producing such garbage, or the so-called "technicians" on this forum defending this BS.

My HP Envy is 100% upgradeable and repairable. I could keep that case for 20+ years if I wanted to and just keep changing the guts out. I'll never have to buy another computer from HP again, and that's what these OEMs fear. But the reality is, only a small percentage of people will actually do this, but making things repairable and upgradeable will extend their lifetime. Making products repairable and upgradeable is more environmentally friendly and helps the average working class citizen, and that's what these narcissists that own these huge corporations can't stand. Well f*ck 'em. I won't be giving an OEM another dollar of my money ever again, and I will continue to sell repairable and upgradeable products to my clients.

and that's what these OEMs fear.

And, again, you indulge your delusions and display a startling lack of observational skill.

Most of the world would not, and does not by choice, "keep the old car body and keep shoving a new engine, drivetrain, air conditioning, etc.," in to it.

It is a combination of the desire for the novel, baked into marketing virtually anything and everything in our society, coupled with actual obsolescence (particularly in computer technology) that has reliably driven sales and will continue to do so.

Next stupid proposition!

@lan101 Even laptops can last a good decade if they're taken care of. On average computers last years before there's a problem. But not everyone is so lucky, and a percentage of computers fail prematurely. It's important that a computer is repairable and upgradeable so that in the event of failure or when the need for an upgrade arises you're not forced to buy a whole new computer. The problem is, repairable and upgradeable computers aren't conducive to increasing the bottom line of greedy corporations, so they've devised a way to make their products disposable. I don't know what's worse, these OEMs producing such garbage, or the so-called "technicians" on this forum defending this BS.

My HP Envy is 100% upgradeable and repairable. I could keep that case for 20+ years if I wanted to and just keep changing the guts out. I'll never have to buy another computer from HP again, and that's what these OEMs fear. But the reality is, only a small percentage of people will actually do this, but making things repairable and upgradeable will extend their lifetime. Making products repairable and upgradeable is more environmentally friendly and helps the average working class citizen, and that's what these narcissists that own these huge corporations can't stand. Well f*ck 'em. I won't be giving an OEM another dollar of my money ever again, and I will continue to sell repairable and upgradeable products to my clients.

I've got a Lenevo M92P series from back like late 2012 early 2013. Just running that with a samsung ssd and a gtx1050 and it does everything I need it to. The motherboard has a silly 14 pin connector but there were the 24 pin to 14 pin converters available so I could put in a standard power supply. I got a nearly identical one from a client that was upgrading so I've got swappable parts for it if needed. I figured I could still run this another 3 or 4 years most likely. I noticed a lot of those Hp Envy series towers aren't too bad to do upgrades with if needed.

Most of the world would not, and does not by choice, "keep the old car body and keep shoving a new engine, drivetrain, air conditioning, etc.," in to it.
I said as such in the very next sentence that you quoted.

desire for the novel, baked into marketing virtually anything and everything in our society, coupled with actual obsolescence (particularly in computer technology) that has reliably driven sales and will continue to do so.
No one buys a new tower for the novelty of it. Smartphones? Sure. Desktop towers? Not so much.

All of the CONSUMER crap is like this now.
And the business grade stuff too, unfortunately. This is the back of a Dell Optiplex 7040:

iDFenxs.jpg

I use m93p and it has rhe same 14 pin setuo. I keep the adapters in stock since many of my clients have them since I sold them to them

Yeah same here...original power supplies are probably cheap on ebay now but I know at the time they were like $250 through Lenevo directly.

Huge ripoff...surprisingly I've yet to run across a bad power supply on these (jinx probably now lol)

Back