[SOLVED] GPO deployed printers not printing.

Tech Savvy

Reaction score
Jump to bottom for Summary.

Whole story:

I got a call yesterday 9/15/2021 from a client I rarely ever hear from (doctors office that prints heavily). No one could print to any of the printers on the network. Only local printers for specific users were working. That night I saw the server go offline for about 5-10 min, so I assumed it was just a power outage.

I remote in and all looked well. Server had no print errors at all. I restarted/cleared the spooler and asked them to try again. Still no luck. The client machines showed an error saying insufficient permissions or something like that when looking at the Printers and Scanners screen. And the client PCs did have error events(Event ID: 372) in event viewer. For a failure to render print job error code 283.

I looked online and all I saw was post about Event ID: 372, but a error code of 5. The recommended fix was to change some permissions. I did that still didn't work so I reverted back.

I rebooted the server and client machines, removed/readded printer except it failed to add the printer back in and gave me an error code 283. I thought this is really weird. From the server I was able to print without any issues. As a test, I added one of the printers directly (via tcp/ip) to one of the client machines and it worked great. I thought it might have been a driver thing so I installed the latest drivers which were only one minor revision behind, but who knows! Still nothing.

I ran DISM/SFC on both the client and server. Nothing.

I was just short of nuking the print Server role and reconfiguring it or restoring from our backup when I came across this:

I checked and sure enough the 9/14/2021 roll up was applied at midnight thus the call the morning of 9/15. I went to uninstall the update and the Uninstall/Change button was missing. I opened the command prompt with elevated privileges uninstalled the bad update with:

wusa /uninstall /KB:50055073

I waited until the users took their lunch and restarted the server. It took a little while, almost stuck on 100% Applying Updates, but eventually I saw the login screen and all worked well. Just as a precaution I scheduled print spooler clean and reboot for all the client machines.

Summary:
- Printing through print server stopped working.
- No error events on server, but error events were on client PCs with Event ID: 372 and error code 283. --> this is because print jobs are rendered on client machines.
- Printers affected were only ones deployed through group policy.
- Latest Windows Server Rollup broke my Print Server.
- The roll up KBs were different for me than what was in the Microsoft link above, probably because my server with the issue was 2016 and most people there had 2012 or 2008R2.

Figured I'd post it and hopefully save someone some headache.

Back