Who actually "buys" these solicitations for work?

britechguy

Reaction score
Over the last week, I've had two separate queries of this class: "I have 32 used hp pavilion 500-281 desktop i want them service and load to window 10 and also will like to know your store address."

There is no way I'd ever take this kind of job, and it screams scam as well.

Yes a scam most likely. A tell-tale sign would be the lack of detail especially about their location.

Yeah, those were some old scams, used to get them every now and then around 15 or 20 years ago.
Reload Windows <whatever was current at the time>, and some free AV like AVG or Avast or other garbage like that...a whole trunk full of laptops. I forget what the angle was....for them to get your money before you receive the laptops, probably try to get you to pre-pay some huge shipping amount.

Awwww.... I'm envious. I don't get those anymore. I thought they'd become extinct. Kind of nostalgic......
Probably been more than ten years since I've had one of hose emails.
Weird I still get these things at least once or twice a week. Maybe the scam is regional? I've never understood how the scam works but maybe they actually do have someone drop off a bunch of crappy/old computers for "repair"? Is this just a "recycling" company trying to dump their e-waste on unsuspecting computer repair shops? I can imagine such a scam. A "recycling" company charges legitimate companies $$$ to "recycle" their old computers, then they do this scam in order to get rid of them.

I've never understood how the scam works
If I remember it's the overpayment angle. There is no hardware. They setup the transaction as paid in advance using a forged check or stolen CC. They'll over pay and then have victim refund the difference using something like Venmo. Money is gone minutes after it's sent. Then the original payment bounces/gets clawed back/charger back, etc, etc.

Over the last week, I've had two separate queries of this class: "I have 32 used hp pavilion 500-281 desktop i want them service and load to window 10 and also will like to know your store address."

There is no way I'd ever take this kind of job, and it screams scam as well.
I get the ones that ask for a quote for 2 dozen laptops and some iPads. If they were real they would know I don't sell equipment. I'd love to reply some time 1 million dollars cash up front. Just to see if they would reply.

Got a text the other day.
Thanks for the response. I have 10 used HP Pavilion 500-281 Desktop Computers coming for me and I want them to service and load in Windows 10 pro at your store, Can you handle this for me?

Got a text the other day.

I tend to respond to any email or text on principle. After having replied saying, "I can't; I'm swamped," the following email reply arrived:

"I can make an appointment if you're okay with that"

I did maintain "radio silence" after the previously noted refusal.

I tend to respond to any email or text on principle. After having replied saying, "I can't; I'm swamped," the following email reply arrived:

"I can make an appointment if you're okay with that"

I did maintain "radio silence" after the previously noted refusal.
Yeah, I get these a lot. I'll tell them I'll do it if they show up with cash at my store. The last guy replied he was confined to a wheelchair or else he would do it. Therefore, he would need to pay with a card over the phone. Sure thing. Then I had a guy argue with me, like, "Why not?" and "What makes you think this isn't legit?"

Back