Wow, I'm on it! (NOT!)

GTP

Reaction score
Got an email today...

"I would need your help i have 20 used HP pavilion 500-281 desktop running window 7 pro, I want them wiped and load to window 10. I would like to do that over the phone but am hearing impaired can you handle that? and do you accept credit card?"

Hahah! I should have some fun with this but can't be bothered!

Dont forget they are travelling out of country on a business trip in Nigeria, and are not contactable by phone.
Haha!
I think I might have a little fun with this one after all!
They sent me another message...
"Good sir i want us to schedule a date and time that will be okay to bring them in..Are you available on 24th of next month? Time 11;00"

Looks like they are coming from Nigeria! I better get ready! Lol

Got an email today...

"I would need your help i have 20 used HP pavilion 500-281 desktop running window 7 pro, I want them wiped and load to window 10. I would like to do that over the phone but am hearing impaired can you handle that? and do you accept credit card?"

Hahah! I should have some fun with this but can't be bothered!

I think they are more than hearing Impaired there seem to be a few other circuits that have been short-circuited.

Reactions: GTP
Haha!
I think I might have a little fun with this one after all!
They sent me another message...
"Good sir i want us to schedule a date and time that will be okay to bring them in..Are you available on 24th of next month? Time 11;00"

Looks like they are coming from Nigeria! I better get ready! Lol

LOL 11:00 is that the time in your local time or mine?? AM/PM?? Uh sorry, we are only open between 00:00 to 07:00 hours.... Zulu Time LOL

Last edited:
Tell them that you only accept cash and will need a 50% deposit when they bring them in. (That will either make them go away or give you a chance to play with them some more :))
Actually, just for fun I responded with.....

...no problem I can do for $300 each. Includes a retail copy of Windows 10 for each computer.
Total would be $6000.
Please send your credit card details. I need all money up front."......

and got this back!

".....Am okay with the price and am ready to make the payment with my credit
card to secure the payment now for the service i will like to know the
type of credit card processor you used to run card manually and are
you the owner of the company ?"...

I wonder how far he'll go!

Actually, just for fun I responded with.....

...no problem I can do for $300 each. Includes a retail copy of Windows 10 for each computer.
Total would be $6000.
Please send your credit card details. I need all money up front."......

and got this back!

".....Am okay with the price and am ready to make the payment with my credit
card to secure the payment now for the service i will like to know the

I wonder how far he'll go!

hmmm sorry, cant tell you due being on NDA for the next 5 years.

... i will like to know the

So, always being curious how the spammers get something out of you, I wonder where they will go once they have this info, what they will do.

Example...if YOU know what card processing service WE here at my office use....what can you do? I'm not afraid to say "We use Retriever Merchant Services" in a public place.
There has to be more information they either already have from/about you, or will get from you.

So, always being curious how the spammers get something out of you, I wonder where they will go once they have this info, what they will do.

Example...if YOU know what card processing service WE here at my office use....what can you do? I'm not afraid to say "We use Retriever Merchant Services" in a public place.
There has to be more information they either already have from/about you, or will get from you.
I would guess its just step 1 of the info gathering process. Might be they know certain processors are less vigilant or they will just know its a lost cause if they see a certain name. I think usually the scam goes that they send YOU some "money" with a bit extra that you have to refund them. You refund it, but then after a few days their original payment fails and you lose that money in addition to the real money you "returned".

I would guess its just step 1 of the info gathering process. Might be they know certain processors are less vigilant or they will just know its a lost cause if they see a certain name. I think usually the scam goes that they send YOU some "money" with a bit extra that you have to refund them. You refund it, but then after a few days their original payment fails and you lose that money in addition to the real money you "returned".

probably true then again tips do not have to be refunded, and will not be completed until funds are cleared for 30 days.

Yeah could be that they have a short list of processors that they have back doors to....or that are at least easy to get around on.
Extra money up front, get refund..yeah that's been a common MO of theirs..aware of of that one. I just couldn't imagine what knowing my processor might actually gain for them. One thinks right away "oh.that's confidential"..but honestly when you think about it, how it works, etc...really isn't anything I'd consider confidential or secret.

Yeah could be that they have a short list of processors that they have back doors to....or that are at least easy to get around on.
Extra money up front, get refund..yeah that's been a common MO of theirs..aware of of that one. I just couldn't imagine what knowing my processor might actually gain for them. One thinks right away "oh.that's confidential"..but honestly when you think about it, how it works, etc...really isn't anything I'd consider confidential or secret.

Many of them are surprisingly lax with identify verification. If they know name of business, address, and merchant ID, it might not be too hard to make changes to your account. Test it out on your own processor.

That's exactly how it works. They ask to have the extra money being returned sent via Western Union or some other non-refundable method.

Interesting, we had almost an identical email request about a month ago. Only difference is didn't mention hearing impaired.
We did not respond however.

The owner/boss and I had a good laugh about it though.

Last edited:
I have 10 used HP Pavilion 500-281 Desktop Computer coming for me and i want them service and load in window 10 from window 7, and i want that done in your store so can you do that for me and what would the total cost be?

Got that couple of days ago,lol

Back