[WARNING] You May Need To Enable CPU's Built-In TPM To Install Win 11

Appletax

Reaction score
Bought for my client a Dell Inspiron 7573 2-in-1 laptop that has an Intel Core i5-8250U processor.

I was going to install Windows 11 on it so the customer has many years of operating system support from Microsoft.

Went to install Win 11 and it said the computer does not meet the requirements. Figured that the issue must be with the TPM chip. Went into the BIOS and found that there is no TPM chip. Freaked out lol - there's no way to add TPM to a laptop!

Did some research and discovered that Intel processors have built-in TPM called Platform Trusted Technology. No need for a dedicated TPM chip. Found it in the BIOS and turned it on.

Was then able to install Windows 11 :)

"All new or updated devices must come with an enabled TPM 2.0 as of July 28, 2016, as stated in the Windows 10 minimum hardware requirements."

AMD has it, too - called "fTPM".

Thank God!!!!

There's multiple TPM options:
  1. Intel Platform Trusted Technology (PTT)
  2. AMD fTPM
  3. Dedicated TPM chip
  4. TPM chip built into the motherboard

Last edited:
Dedicated TPM is preferable, because it means you can move the chip to a new mainboard and still access the disk. Locking the drive to a CPU has... complications. But yes, on low end machines especially with AMD CPUs in them, fTPM is what you're after.

Intel calls theirs the Trusted Computing Platform IRC.

Dedicated TPM is preferable, because it means you can move the chip to a new mainboard and still access the disk. Locking the drive to a CPU has... complications. But yes, on low end machines especially with AMD CPUs in them, fTPM is what you're after.

Intel calls theirs the Trusted Computing Platform IRC.

My understanding is that the only way to have a moveable TPM chip is to have a desktop PC.

Are there laptops with them?

There is also the MS supported registry edit to allow install through upgrade or clean. I wont give details here as this is the general chat area but it is easily findable.

There is also the MS supported registry edit to allow install through upgrade or clean. I wont give details here as this is the general chat area but it is easily findable.
And MS also said if you upgrade a non-compatible system you might not receive updates or have other system issues in the future.
Not something a professional tech should do to a client's computer.

Reactions: GTP
And MS also said if you upgrade a non-compatible system you might not receive updates or have other system issues in the future.
Not something a professional tech should do to a client's computer.
That is true and the reason I did not link any article explaining the workaround. But, someone may run into the issues like I have where the system has to be upgraded no matter what to interact with specialized software just to give them some time to upgrade. I was only offering a suggestion for anyone else stumbling across the post and any article they choose to follow should state that warning.

So far my automotive shops CRM software used by 6 clients, 2 machinist/CNC shops CRM and a smoothie store CRM/POS system. Again, these all use software from small private developers but it is just a matter of time until the big guys require Windows 11 even though 10 is supported for a few more years.

So far my automotive shops CRM software used by 6 clients, 2 machinist/CNC shops CRM and a smoothie store CRM/POS system.
Dev's that require you to use a 3-month-old OS is dangerous and unusual in the industry in general.
There is also not really enough difference between 10 and 11 to justify it.
It is usually the other way around.

Bought for my client a Dell Inspiron 7573 2-in-1 laptop that has an Intel Core i5-8250U processor.

I was going to install Windows 11 on it so the customer has many years of operating system support from Microsoft.

Went to install Win 11 and it said the computer does not meet the requirements. Figured that the issue must be with the TPM chip. Went into the BIOS and found that there is no TPM chip. Freaked out lol - there's no way to add TPM to a laptop!

Did some research and discovered that Intel processors have built-in TPM called Platform Trusted Technology. No need for a dedicated TPM chip. Found it in the BIOS and turned it on.

Was then able to install Windows 11 :)

"All new or updated devices must come with an enabled TPM 2.0 as of July 28, 2016, as stated in the Windows 10 minimum hardware requirements."

AMD has it, too - called "fTPM".

Thank God!!!!

There's multiple TPM options:
  1. Intel Platform Trusted Technology (PTT)
  2. AMD fTPM
  3. Dedicated TPM chip
  4. TPM chip built into the motherboard
Thanks for the tip!

Back