Xp repair stuck on please wait Black screen

Galdorf

Reaction score
Tried a repair on xp pro with the orginal cd it gets stuck at please wait at the end just before it goes into windows any ideas.

The hard drive is new tested ok, using an image from previous machine upgraded his mother board, hard drive,ram and cpu.

This is the first time this has happened.

Can you clarify the steps you took?.

Sounds like you did an image and then upgraded the hardware and then tried to do a restore on the new hardware with the new drive.

Did the new drive work on the old hardware?. Why did you have to do a repair?.

1) did an image of his old hard drive removed drivers ect.
2) upgraded his mother board, cpu,memory and hard drive
3) copied image to new hard drive then did an xp repair

it goes all the way to the end to the black windows xp logo and please wait and hangs there

I have check for viruses and spyware before i did the image it was clean

12%20-%20Please%20Wait.jpg

Last edited:
I'm gonna guess its drivers/hardware.

Can you turn off as much as possible on the new mobo and see if you can get
any further.

Why not just clone old drive to new, put new in new machine and boot, without repair?. What happens then ?

upgraded mobo, hard drive and perhaps other stuff.

windows probably wants to reactivate

So it will wait for ever if you haven't got an internet connection working,
which you won't on a new mobo without drivers.

Try doing the job in smaller steps.

I used UBCD4win then extracted a previous copy of registry using the registry restore wizard in the registry tools from a previous restore point.

Unfortunately not an option for me. I have no previous entries to restore...

I've made some progress running sysprep and can access the desktop in "factory" mode. However, when I reseal the box... I'm right back where I was before with the "please wait" screen.

I suspect this has something to with activation (since factory mode doesnt require activation).

I can confirm that the other registry tools in UBCD4 seem to detect errors... I'm just not sure how to fix them.

Under windows/repair directory there is a copy of the registry there try replacing with this copy make a backup of current registry somewhere.

[Solved] XP repair stuck on please wait black screen

I know this is an old post but I ran into this problem last night and found the fix here: http://www.paulscomputerservice.net/articles/article.php?ID=159

You have to do a hard shutdown, reboot to safe mode and reinstall IE8.

If you use WSUSOfflineUpdate it is located in client/wxp/[lang]
English (enu) file is:
ie8-windowsxp-x86-enu_808c1e22ea669ae931db841995f3ba211e00cd14.exe

Agreed old post, but I jut wonder why techs would even use and old image from another computer, the only reason I would save an image- if I do at all is just for the customers files. With images you just end up putting all the old junk you had on the previous hard drive on to the new drive.

Why not do a clean install and transfer the old files( pics,docs ,ect) to the new hard drive after you have reinstalled and updated windows and drivers.

The only situation I would use an image is if the customer had software that could not be reinstalled for whatever reason and it was that import to them.

Don't know about the OP, but mine was a repair install on the same hardware to solve some weird problems. Malware scans were clean.

Much quicker fix than a complete reinstall.

Back