SSD shows in BIOS but not in boot order

Mose

Reaction score
Hi guys,

today I experienced a really weird issue that I never had or heard of.

I thought it would be an easy job just swapping the motherboard and CPU that's it, but everything went terribly wrong.

The customer just wants to switch the mainboard(old Asus z170 pro gaming new z490-p) and the CPU (old i7-6700 new one i5-10600k), the ram was the same (ddr4 2x8gb) in the machine was also a Samsung 1TB Evo and a 1TB pro.

So I just swapped the board and the CPU and put it back together and then there was no boot order to choose from. Not 1 of the drives was showing up in the order, not even the DVD.

But in the UEFI settings there were both of the drives showing up correctly and also was on the POST.
I looked for AHCI and everything was set correctly, made a firmware update from 0608 to 1208 or something and that also did nothing to solve my problem.

So I plugged the drives into my notebook with the USB dock to check. There was everything fine, the letters where given and no corruption there.....
I changed the MBR to GPT there was still no boot device in the boot order to choose from.

After all that, I put in a windows install USB drive to look if the drive shows up there and there they are, I can format the drives and install windows but cannot boot from it, what is that......

I know I could have made an image from the drive, but at that given time I did not have an empty 1tb drive around.

My temporary solution:
So I decided to make a separate partition out of the main drive and install windows on it and try to boot and it worked. But why?

The customer has to make a backup and then I will go and make it as I would normally, make a clean install not such a Frankenstein setup like that.

I nearly freaked out, because it was a simple replacement and get me so much in trouble.

Do anyone know an answer or a better solution to this, then I don't know what the heck happened today.
I googled the sh*** out of google but could not find something useful.

Thank you for your time to bring a little light in the darkness.
And excuse my terrible English ^^

Greetings from Austria
Mose

I may have missed something, but it looks like the boot drive is MBR, correct? Did you try turning off secure boot and UEFI boot?

Not 1 of the drives was showing up in the order, not even the DVD.

But in the UEFI settings there were both of the drives showing up correctly and also was on the POST.

https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/PRIME-Z490-P/specifications/
Total supports 2 x M.2 slots and 4 x SATA 6Gb/s ports
Intel® Z490 Chipset :
1 x M.2 Socket 3, with M key, type 2242/2260/2280/22110 storage devices support (SATA & PCIE 3.0 x 4 mode)*2
1 x M.2 Socket 3, with M key, type 2242/2260/2280 storage devices support (SATA & PCIE 3.0 x 4 mode)
4 x SATA 6Gb/s port(s)
Support Raid 0, 1, 5, 10
Intel® Rapid Storage Technology supports
Intel® Optane™ Memory Ready

I'm not familiar with that motherboard but my first thought would be RAID settings. If RAID is enabled but not configured, the drives might not show until you either configure them as RAID0 volumes or disable RAID.

https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/PRIME-Z490-P/specifications/

I'm not familiar with that motherboard but my first thought would be RAID settings. If RAID is enabled but not configured, the drives might not show until you either configure them as RAID0 volumes or disable RAID.

Could be but then it leaves the question, why was the new created partition with windows showing up?

And i did not try rebuilding the BCD, because i did not see the other SSD with only games on it, so for me it was no windows boot problem. But i will check that. I ran sfc but it was ok

Back