Working on my SEO Skills

allstarit

Reaction score
So the last 2 months i have created 2 basic wordpress sites for 2 of my clients that i do managed services for. I done alot of self teaching by reading up alot on Wordpress and what plugins to use ect and my webdesign skills are getting better as time goes by lol.
The next phase im working on is SEO to generate more traffic.

I have been reading up heaps on generating local traffic to my clients sites and its starting to work. Being new domains it seems to take longer to get google to crawl the sites. I am trialing this out to some of my clients and if this SEO service works it could be a good source of income.

Here is what im doing for SEO (not necessarily in this order) so far and i hope im on the right track - time will tell i guess

1) Yoast Plugin - Ive read up on SEO plugins and this one seems to be really good and is free.
It tells you things you need to address if your SEO isnt adequete - like keyword not mentioned enough in the description, not mentioned in the H2,H1 titles. It also mentions if you dont have enough words and it also lets you edit your Meta Title and Meta data

2) Creating Google My Business Account - This is important to have as when you google a business it will show local sites box with the map.

3) Adding website to local Citation Directories - not spammy ones but reputable sites and fill in a profile on each site, entering correct category and making sure the NAP (name,address and phone) are the same as Google Account leaving no discrepancies or abbreviations ect (all need to be identical)

4) Backlinks - get some high authority backlinks and create a blog post or something to link back to my site with keyword Anchor text.

5) Anchor Text and internal Links and Keywords- Making sure to use Anchor Text (not too much) and have good internal links so Google crawls the site and can easily get around.
Try not to have keywords stuffing of the same keywords you have on other pages - try to make it specific to this page

6) Social Media Profiles - Setup Google+ Page, Facebook, Twitter, Linked In,Pinterest ect -
Google+ and Youtube link together with your business page and since Google own these i feel these are important to setup and add regular videos- YouTube is second biggest to Google search.

7) SourceFlood - This is a plugin i found from a SEO guy called Alex Becker -been watching a few of his vidoes and basically this plugin allows you to create a {flood} field in Facebook and then enter in a list of suburbs. Then create a template page with all these {flood} fields where you want to mention the suburb name and once you generate the page it then creates the same page for each suburb. Then make your keywords specific for each suburb - eg computer repairs <suburb> or virus removal <suburb>

Thing to avoid here is to not make every page the same as Google may see this as duplicate content - Thats where my next point will hopefully come into play.

8) Youtube Content - Next is the part im upto - ive done all of the above and from what i have read adding youtube videos that link back to your keyword landing page computer repair <suburb>
Basically im testing this by making some videos for my own page and talking about computer repairs i am doing and where i am ect posting some helpful info. Adding these videos onto the actual suburb page will help with avoiding duplicate

9) Sitemap - make sure Yoast is setup to post my Sitemap to Google Webmasters so Google knows which pages to index ect

10) Google Analytics - add analytics codes to Wordpress so i can track the traffic and keywords being used.

I will keep tabs on how my clients tabs are going and post back if the above steps have been a good success or needs more work. I think im on the right track but enjoy doing this sort of work.

Hopefully these tips i have found will be useful for others.
If any SEO gurus are on here please let me know if im missing anything i should be doing that i havent posted here.

Yeah they should make it a default.
I know once connected to webmasters account you goto Acquisition- Search engine optimisation and then queries to view search queries but only once you have linked it will it show up

7) SourceFlood - This is a plugin i found from a SEO guy called Alex Becker -been watching a few of his vidoes and basically this plugin allows you to create a {flood} field in Facebook and then enter in a list of suburbs. Then create a template page with all these {flood} fields where you want to mention the suburb name and once you generate the page it then creates the same page for each suburb. Then make your keywords specific for each suburb - eg computer repairs <suburb> or virus removal <suburb>
This might be dangerous. Goes against Googles duplicate content guideline and may be seen as a deceptive practice: https://support.google.com/webmasters/answer/66359?hl=en

It probably works..... for now. The next update might nail you.

Yeah im a little concerned about that too as it can be seen as duplicate content.

Whay im doing now us adding extra content into the pages and more pictures and also doing some videos to mix it up a little

@allstarit great to hear you have been expanding your web design skills. I have also been keen on getting into web design and developing my sites. May I ask if you purchased a theme for your clients website? Or did you design the theme yourself?
Thanks

I usually purchase a theme the client picks or show them ones i have used previously.
I stick to wprdpress and usually get themes from themeforest.net which has some good themes

I usually purchase a theme the client picks or show them ones i have used previously.
I stick to wprdpress and usually get themes from themeforest.net which has some good themes

Thanks. I will checkout themeforest. I have always been worried about finding good themes from a reputable place

This might be dangerous. Goes against Googles duplicate content guideline and may be seen as a deceptive practice: https://support.google.com/webmasters/answer/66359?hl=en

It probably works..... for now. The next update might nail you.
Bryce i have removed this plugin and the pages i have created. I have realised its like the Tortoise and the Hare. You can be the hare and publish lots of pages like i have done here but its not going to help you win the race. Or you can be like the tortoise and do the pages slowly, set it up the correct way and with original content and in the long run it will pay off far better.

So i have removed all the duplicate pages and taking it a little slower making sure each page is going to be awesome content.

see how it goes.

Not much had been said about Google advertising. It can be a great way to drive business to your site, or it can be a questionable use of funds.
Last year a class at the University of Wisconsin took my website and I think it was $300 for one month of advertising on Google. The spike in traffic (below) was impressive as the site had just received a makeover. But, most of it was search traffic and very little converted or carried. Seems we are much better off with conventional means exposure. Mostly we use a web (pun intended - heh?) of links. I blog which is linked on our Facebook page and those links to both are tweeted and/or retweeted. You can see much more consistent traffic pattern on the second graph. The actual numbers are low but we are small and local.

ga1.jpg

ga2.jpg

Last edited:
Bryce i have removed this plugin and the pages i have created. I have realised its like the Tortoise and the Hare. You can be the hare and publish lots of pages like i have done here but its not going to help you win the race. Or you can be like the tortoise and do the pages slowly, set it up the correct way and with original content and in the long run it will pay off far better.

So i have removed all the duplicate pages and taking it a little slower making sure each page is going to be awesome content.

see how it goes.
Yep, slow and steady wins the race. It'll always get ahead of the people who are looking to game Google.

But, most of it was search traffic and very little converted or carried.
Would love to see the pages it was going to to see why it wasnt converting.

Converting wasn't my point especially in my rural residential market where so much is word-of-mouth and who you know. The point is SEO is a small piece of the web site puzzle that too many hold up as the holy grail. Strategies like seeding your site links around the web (Facebook, LinkedIn, Twitter, etc.) repeatedly is a much more effective strategy than pure site SEO for driving the search engines, rankings and traffic.

Back