Webcam built into external monitor on Chromebook

alexsmith2709

Reaction score
I have a customer who bought a monitor with built in webcam and is connecting it to a chromebook (Acer Spin 513) through a cheap ass USB hub which has an HDMI port as the chromebook only has USB-C and she doesnt have an adapter.
She cant get the webcam to work, it just shows black (her words, cant get any more info). I suggested this may be because of the cheap ass hub and to get an HDMI to USB-C cable/adapter and try it, but is there anything else that may be preventing this from working? Could it be that a chromebook cannot handle a webcam built into a monitor and has no idea it even exists?

I cant get on site to this customer at the moment so im trying to diagnose remotely with someone not very tech literate.

I have given her some privacy/permissions things to check. From what she said this doesnt appear to be the issue.

She is trying to use google meet for calls etc.

I don't know that any webcam works via HDMI there is probably a USB hooked on the monitor to connect the webcam it might also work via DisplayPort though I am less familiar with what DisplayPort can and does carry. Do you have the model for the monitor?

Good point, the phone line was really bad so i got her to email me the details. I should have known better than to trust a client has set something up correctly! There is a USB cable that needs to be connected so i'll ask her about that.
This is the model https://www.hannspree.eu/hp-248-wjb/ The manual does clearly state to connect this extra cable but im betting this is the cause!

I'll update on the outcome.

Thanks

Wasn't even aware you could use an external webcam with a Chromebook, until now.

Here's a good overview that I found

Back