Windows password box missing? Win 10

LABFE

Reaction score
Working on an issue where the user password box does not appear at the welcome screen for Windows 10; needless to say this is precluding the ability to login to Windows. I've done a bunch of searching on the Web without locating a fix that has worked. I've also attempted several Windows recovery options with all of the tools failing to run. I'm figuring that Windows has been corrupted and likely due to malware. Extensive hardware diagnostics have been ran. The customer doesn't want to lose his data with a clean install. Thought I'd reach out to other techs to see if you've seen this issue and what you did to rectify it? I've considered running malware scans from a boot disk, but if it is malware I'm not sure that merely removing it will allow the box to begin to appear again. Can FABS somehow be ran without logging into Windows?

Last edited:
I had a nasty one like this as well months ago, I spent a little more time on it then I needed trying to see if Malware scans from boot disks would do anything. Eventually I called the client and gave her the options and did a Fabs for the data and a clean install to Windows 10.

I recommend you do the same.

I have Fabs, but I wasn't aware of the boot disk. I followed your link and it says Win 8 and back. Do you know if it will work with Windows 10?

+1 above.
Why would the customer lose his data? Get Fabs Autobackup 6 Pro https://www.fpnet.fr
Fabs has a boot disc https://forums.fpnet.fr/viewtopic.php?id=194 you can run or just slave the drive as suggested above and run Fabs.
You could also boot with a "live" Linux distro and copy data to a backup drive.
N & P, use Fabs to restore data, job done!

Reactions: GTP
Thanks for the replies. This is on a PC that took the free upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 10. For these PC's, it's my understanding that as long as the upgrade activated successfully you can clean install 10, skipping the part where it asks for the activation key, and once the PC connects to the Internet Windows will activate again automatically. Can someone confirm that this understanding is correct or do I have this wrong?

Reactions: GTP
Back