Windows 10 Start Menu Disabled

AlaDes

Reaction score
We have had several Windows 10 workstations in our company that have started having issues with the start menu, search, and notification box being disabled. We are in a domain environment and it only happens to the domain users. The local administrator accounts are always fine. The only way we have been able to rectify this issue lately is to delete the user's profile and recreate it, which is starting to get frustrating. It's starting to happen more and more often. There is no rhyme or reason as to which computer or user this will happen to. I don't believe it's an image issue as not all of the ones being affected use the same image. As a matter of fact, some of the workstations have been in use for more than two years and have never had an issue until now. I've even had one user that had this to happen to them three times on two different workstations. I know there is a webcache folder that needs to be deleted that will affect the start menu as well but we already know that this is not the issue.

I had one machine report this today. From what I repaired, it's user profile corruption that in my case I blame on Outlook, because the unit pulled Office Updates late last week while the Internet was being intermittent. Outlook went utterly bonkers, and Outlook is magic at nuking things.

But that unit had several issues... it lost trust with the DC, screwed up local user profile, AND the office install being janky.

Last edited:
Working in a computer shop, we quite often see computers come in with the start menus not working, normally a restart will fix it. If you are still having problems tweaking.com’s AIO fixing tool will normally reset everything back to a working state.

I just run this. Fixes it usually.

Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"}

Last edited:
Working in a computer shop, we quite often see computers come in with the start menus not working, normally a restart will fix it. If you are still having problems tweaking.com’s AIO fixing tool will normally reset everything back to a working state.
Thank you so much for reminding me of this awesome tool! It was a registry permissions issue. Now I just have to see if the problem comes back. I use the Pro version of this but never thought of using it in a domain environment. THANK YOU!

Back