Mice and other pointing devices
MICROSOFT PS2 MOUSE
I get "windows could not load the installer for Mouse. Contact your
hardware vendor for assistance.

and a random listing as COMPUTER
I get "windows could not load the installer for Computer. Contact your
hardware vendor for assistance.

I have pulled drivers from an OS disk, SP3 disk, manufacture website,
random other sites.and ran ComboFix, Dial-a-Fix, nothing prevails.

Of all the postings I've found across the internet, none have been able to help resolve this issue.

I have exhausted all means that I can think to correct this problem, hoping to find some help though here.

Lastly, I am about to run a repair install.

MaxM

kb 296241 no help

Last edited:
Gee, I wonder what kind of computer this is. You know, the make, model, what processor, stuff like that ..... :rolleyes:

EDIT: Thanks for editing your post to provide the info.

Last edited:
More to the point how did Windows itself load if it can't find the HD driver etc?

You need to set out a deal more relevant information.

The system had the OS already installed. The issues came about after removing the viruses, malware, etc.

The system had the OS already installed. The issues came about after removing the viruses, malware, etc.

So after cleaning it the machine tried to reinstall all the drivers as if it was a new install ?

At anytime did you see anything like :

Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:
<windows_root>\System32\hal.dll
?

Last edited:
The systems show the listed hardware as "found new hardware", then proceeds to look for the drivers. The drivers are not found within the OS, so it ask for location on disk or online.

So after cleaning it the machine tried to reinstall all the drivers as if it was a new install ?

At anytime did you see anything like :

Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:
<windows_root>\System32\hal.dll
?

Yes, I had that error come up. I've been through the recovery console, fixboot, fixmbr, and replacing the hal.dll file. The system will boot normally, its after that when the the OS shows it has detected new hardware.

In the device manager window, the hardware is listed, but when I try to uninstall them, it gives the same error.

Ok, great more issues. SFC won't execute with any of the commands. They all return with the error code of 0x000006ba ,The RPC server is unavailable. I checked under services and all RPC calls are set to automatic and have been started.

Yes, I had that error come up. I've been through the recovery console, fixboot, fixmbr, and replacing the hal.dll file. The system will boot normally, its after that when the the OS shows it has detected new hardware.

In the device manager window, the hardware is listed, but when I try to uninstall them, it gives the same error.

That's what I was afraid of. I think you are hunting and pecking your way through this fix but you have a pretty corrupted installation right there. I would backup the customers data as much as possible and then consider a repair install or total reinstall at this point.

That is where I pretty figured I was after attempting the SFC. Thankfully they only have 8 gigs of music to back up (done). It has been pretty much curiosity and a test to see if I could bring this back. The junk that was in the system had done some pretty serious damage. I had to renable all rights as admin, replace the group policy file and clean everything related to security software.
The hal.dll can really only be repaired by doing a reinstall correct? Because it is during the install that it builds itself around what hardware is in the system, is the correct thinking? So another copy of hal.dll from other systems will not help, unless it's an exact setup?
Time to install, thanks.

Thanks for the FYI, those are generally always good to consider. I will try that when I get back to the shop.

Ok, final posting regarding the attack on this issue. Imaged the hard drive, copied relevant personal files. Ran a repair install, brought it up to date will all MS, Adobe, Java, and other installed programs. Ran a full gamut of testing the security and settings. Imaged drive again, and invoiced.

Thanks to everyone for posting their knowledge, tips, and tricks.

Just an FYI, you can always slave up that drive to a working windows machine and run an sfc on that specific drive name/label.

EDIT: Make sure yu run a diagnostic on the hard drive too.

Thanks!

Just when I think I'm wasting my time here, I find an invaluable tip like this.

@ACG

Yeah I wouldn't of thought of slaving it up and running SFC that way. Cheers ACG !

@MaxMon

Out of curiousity, ( you do not have to answer )..
How much did you charge your client for this ? And did you charge extra for backing up 8GB of music ?

@Metical - No prob on the question. Total out the door invoice was $130.00, no charge on the BU, that was a cover my a@@ decision. I wanted to try some things on this system since the customer was in no hurry to get it back. So I spent extra time; something I normally would not have done. I figured that the time I spent on it was learning time since no other systems were in the shop. Basically I took advantage of some down time; resulting in some experience that will come in handy I'm sure within the next few systems.

Back