Making Obsidian notes available to users via MS Intune

The_Homer_Simpson

Reaction score
Hello!

Been tasked with an app to package up, I am looking to package the Obsidian app using the standard packaging toolset for MS Intune and hoping to make it available for users in the Company Portal.

I am hitting some roadblocks however with the detection rules it seems as I get an installation failed error after its notification its downloading and installing the app. This is then resulting in a description of

“The application was not detected after installation completed successfully (0x87D1041C)”

Detection rules set as registry detection "Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\bd400747-f0c1-5638-a859-982036102edf With shortcut name being the entry in the registry.

To add I have also tried File/Folder detection set as “%LocalAppData%\Obsidian” but beforehand it resulted in “The installation package could not be opened. Contact the application vendor to verify that this is a valid Windows Installer package (0x80070654)”

As it stands however I am at the first error relating to “The application was not detected after installation completed successfully (0x87D1041C)” however I am unsure what else to ry…

Any advice or assistance will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Has the test destination ever had Obsidian before? Personally I'd start out using a virgin VM to make sure there's minimal impact from other "stuff".

Has the test destination ever had Obsidian before? Personally I'd start out using a virgin VM to make sure there's minimal impact from other "stuff".
No, never. although digging deeper I now see that it gives a more in depth error in the logs which is [Win32App] Path doesn't exists: C:\WINDOWS\system32\config\systemprofile\AppData\Local\Obsidian applicationDetected: False

So it seems that it wants to create a folder in C:\WINDOWS\system32\config\systemprofile\AppData\Local\ called Obsidian and perhaps cannot do so.. I think its due to the nature in which this app is installed initially that might differ to other apps..

This is on a vanilla laptop freshly installed with Windows too.

So you're attempting to install to the “%LocalAppData% of a service account, which is not what you want to do if you want an app installed for users.

I assume this is the PAID version of the app? The free one is not for deployment use and probably has built-in blocks to prevent abuse.
No, this was the free executable.

I emailed the developers and they have since replied saying this is not currently possible to package. It was worth a go and getting this great app used more widely :)

Back