Two Win8 failed upgrade to Win10 - frustrated!

Diggs

Reaction score
I'm a bit frustrated after two Win8 machines from a local municipality fail to upgrade in place to Win10. Every previous Win8>Win10 upgrade has gone smoothly with no hitches. Now I have two machines in a row to fail. No doubt they are related. I manually removed AVG from each of them before the upgrade attempt and the AVG secure browser that went with it. The updates go great until the very end of the install and then kick back to Win8 with a Win10 fail to install message. I ran the MS setupdiag (shown below). I have run a full DISM /restorehealth on both machines and that didn't help. I really don't want to N&P the machine. Lots of stuff that will be hard to put back. I'm just beginning my due deligence (going down the rabbit hole?) with Google on the error messages but thought someone here might glance and easily recognize the problem. Thoughts on the log?

Matching Profile found: FindAbruptDownlevelFailure - 55882B1A-DA3E-408A-9076-23B22A0472BD
SetupDiag version: 1.6.2107.27002
System Information:
Machine Name = DEPUTYPC
Manufacturer = LENOVO
Model = 10091
HostOSArchitecture = 1033
FirmwareType = UEFI
BiosReleaseDate = 20121022000000.000000+000
BiosVendor = ESKT20A
BiosVersion = ESKT20A
HostOSVersion = 6.3.9600
HostOSBuildString = 9600.20111.amd64fre.winblue_ltsb_escrow.210812-0920
TargetOSBuildString = 10.0.19041.900 (vb_release_svc_prod3.210311-1736)
HostOSLanguageId =
HostOSEdition = Core
RegisteredAV = Windows Defender
FilterDrivers = FileInfo
UpgradeStartTime = 10/3/2021 9:41:57 AM
UpgradeEndTime = 10/3/2021 10:05:04 AM
UpgradeElapsedTime = 00:23:07
CV = F43WpQWc80e9Q8Qk
ReportId =

Error: SetupDiag reports abrupt down-level failure.
Last Operation: Finalize
Error: 0x80004005 - 0x50015
LogEntry: 2021-10-03 10:03:43, Error DISM DISM Provider Store: PID=5476 TID=3148 Failed to get the provider DISM Package Manager from the remote provider store. - CProxyProviderStore::GetProvider(hr:0x80004005)

Refer to "https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/desktop/Debug/system-error-codes" for error information.

Last Setup Phase:
Phase Name: Pre-Finalize
Phase Started: 10/3/2021 10:02:26 AM
Phase Ended: 1/1/0001 12:00:00 AM
Phase Time Delta: 00:00:00
Completed Successfully? False

Last Setup Operation:
Operation Name: Add [1] package C:\$WINDOWS.~BT\DUImageSandbox\Windows10.0-KB5000983-x64.cab
Operation Started: 10/3/2021 10:03:39 AM
Operation Ended: 1/1/0001 12:00:00 AM
Operation Time Delta: 0:00:00:00.0000000
Completed Successfully? False

What method are you using to do the in-place upgrade. By that I mean are you using the Microsoft Update Assistant on the Win10 Download Page or are you using a fresh copy of the ISO to run the upgrade process. It's been my experience that each can have a different result, on rare occasions, for a given machine.

Microsoft Update Assistant on the Win10 Download Page or are you using a fresh copy of the ISO
Yes! All of the above which is part of the frustration.

What are the error messages?
Error: SetupDiag reports abrupt down-level failure.
Last Operation: Finalize
Error: 0x80004005 - 0x50015
LogEntry: 2021-10-03 10:03:43, Error DISM DISM Provider Store: PID=5476 TID=3148 Failed to get the provider DISM Package Manager from the remote provider store. - CProxyProviderStore::GetProvider(hr:0x80004005)

I don't know if that tells me anything or not. I haven't had udate issues since Windows 7 was in it's prime so I'm struggling a bit. I'm wondering if AVG hosed something. I may try the Win10 upgrade with AVG in place just to see what happens.

Try to Disable / remove the wifi cards from the units, there's a couple chipsets that blow up on Win10 beyond 1809 but only during initial upgrade. You can turn then back on again after the update completes.

That being said... sometimes N&P is the only path forward... and you must always be ready for it.

This is related it seems to updates. There might still be corruption in the Payloads, try dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

This seems to be happening at the "uninstall phase" of the update according to https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/deployment/upgrade/troubleshoot-upgrade-errors
did you remove AVG using the AVG removal tool, if not i would try that, or even use the AV Removal Tool in Windows repair Toolbox to remove leftovers it finds.
This thread https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...5/e5e07295-9c0f-4635-8133-a0f5a871e451?page=3 mentions AOMEI and a cloned drive, is there any evidence of the drive previously being cloned and/or AOMEI being installed?

you could also try running the update troubleshooter (i think that was a thing in Win8 wasnt it?) to make sure there is not issue with updates and then try running the upgrade again.

As @Sky-Knight says, try to remove/disable/update WiFi drivers if the above doesnt help

W8 or W8.1?

using the AVG removal tool
Yep!

AOMEI being installed
Not installed and never used that I can tell. Both machines are identical desktops and the drives are identical so assuming they are original.

update troubleshooter
Did that too as well as the online Update Assistant, USB ISO and DVD ISO after removing the WiFi cards. Re-imaged a drive as it first was with AVG still on it and still no joy. Looks like N&P will probably happen.

I'm curious if you could do a 8.1 upgrade in place, like a repair install, maybe that would get it so it can upgrade? It might downgrade/F x whatever is stopping Windows 10.

I'm curious if you could do a 8.1 upgrade in place, like a repair install,

I've never heard of this, but if it is possible, I'd love to hear about it.

At this juncture I haven't actually touched a Windows 8.1 machine (and never actually touched a Windows 8, proper, machine) in about 5 years, but I'm sure some will be presenting themselves just as Windows 8.1 hits end of life in 2023.

If you have a 8.1 DVD ISO, you can. You basically start setup.exe as if you were upgrading from an earlier OS. It's been a while but it def. is possible. I think you can do the same in Windows 10.

I think you can do the same in Windows 10.

I absolutely know it's possible under Windows 10, and frequently recommend the Repair Install.

I just thought it had been introduced with Windows 10, and had never heard of the technique being used under Windows 8.1. I know it didn't exist under Windows 7.

Yep!

Not installed and never used that I can tell. Both machines are identical desktops and the drives are identical so assuming they are original.

Did that too as well as the online Update Assistant, USB ISO and DVD ISO after removing the WiFi cards. Re-imaged a drive as it first was with AVG still on it and still no joy. Looks like N&P will probably happen.
Then my only suggestions are do a in-place upgrade/repair of Windows 8.1 as mentioned above or even try an earlier version of 10 and then update from there

Just tested this in a VM, confirmed In Place upgrade does work. Also, I remember doing In Place upgrades on Windows 7 too.
Actually the upgrade looks good and goes fine through all the upgrade steps until the very end and instead of rebooting into Win10 it fails with a simple "Win10 failed to install" error message. No error code.

Mute at this point. Machines went back to the municipality for their weekly workout still with Win8.1. The clerk installed software for a Dynamo label printer and that caused Office 2010 to glitch when ever it started with Office trying to repair itself and failing. So I tried to install a fresh O365 and that failed every time with no error message. Bottom line is a N&P this weekend. Too much weirdness going on to ever trust these machines without the N&P.

I also had a problematic 8.1 to 10 upgrade this last week. It booted into 10 exactly one time and then blue screened every time thereafter. It was a Lenovo Ideacentre with 6 partitions. Although I resisted N&P it was the smoothest option and the machine runs much faster and smoother now. That's probably due to eliminating all the Lenovo garbage embedded in the original image.

I had a friend bring a me an ASUS laptop that's got Win 8.1 on it and an SSD. Image barely completed as the HGST platter in it started clicking within seconds of the SSD getting all the stuff.

All patches, safe mode, everything I can think of... "Windows 10 installation has failed".

I've spent all day tinkering with this thing, pulling out drivers, reading logs, I've done the in place upgrade to Windows 8.1... all that did was sign me up for hours of patches to get it current again. I found almost 100gb of space clearing the old Windows 8 install that never removed itself...

If my buddy want's Win10, he's going to have to N&P because I'm done dorking with this thing.

*Edit* I'm an idiot, but VICTORY!

So upgrading Windows 8.1 -> Win10 21H1 failed every time, didn't matter what I did. BUT I was able to upgrade Windows 8.1 -> Win10 1809! I told the software to not grab updates, and it complained about the Intel Graphics Driver not being compatible... I confirmed that and off it went.

Intel's automatic driver updater said everything was "current"... well I now know that was a lie. After rebooting into Windows 10 1809 it started whining about a graphics driver update that magically didn't exist last reboot. Now to update to 21H1 THEN I'll worry about drivers. But it's activated and happy.

Last edited:
Back