Windows 10 upgrade

Or it may be until the computer dies. Which lets be real, many systems ppl do good to get 3-4 years out of anymore.
And that is really different then now??? Seriously who upgrades OS on a windows box anymore. You run it until it dies and then you buy a new one and you get what ever the latest version is installed on it. Savy Techs and game box builders care about the OS. No one else does. Microsoft isn't doing anything different than what the public already does.

My question is will my customers on Vista be able to get the same "free" deal. Has anybody heard about that? I know it's quite a leap but there's still plenty of Vista machines out there (sadly).

My question is will my customers on Vista be able to get the same "free" deal. Has anybody heard about that? I know it's quite a leap but there's still plenty of Vista machines out there (sadly).

The answer is "NO" according to the official MS statement made.

"Windows 10 is a free upgrade for Windows 7 and Windows 8 users".

So the upgrade will happen through windows updates. Too bad if you have to reinstall after the first year.......Then you have to pay for it. Better create image files once it's upgraded.
I hope they don't force us to have an online account.....

So using win 10 now in virtualbox........Surprise, surprise Cortana won't turn on without a ms account.......
No...........

Last edited:
So the upgrade will happen through windows updates. Too bad if you have to reinstall after the first year.......Then you have to pay for it. Better create image files once it's upgraded.
I hope they don't force us to have an online account.....

So using win 10 now in virtualbox........Surprise, surprise Cortana won't turn on without a ms account.......
No...........

Yikes! I can see them trying to push that Online Account with Windows 10.

I don't think that any Vista computer will run Windows 8 or 10 very well anyways. Tell them time to replace the computer!

You'd think. Although a few systems I've tried it on it seems to be working mostly ok. Even better, 10 is doing an end-run around the whole problem of Vista-only drivers. The one client I'm doing this for today is a section 8 gal and barely has money for food let alone a new computer...that's why I was hoping it might fall under free upgrade.

I'm kind of curious to see if we will be able to perform a clean install by installing Windows 10 without a license then upgrade with the license. With Windows 7 and 8 this was possible. I simply don't trust upgrading major OS revisions on configured systems.

Sounds like it will be a little more work as it was with Windows 8.1 getting the ISO separate from the Windows Store or Windows Update.

Seems that I've just recently read online about Win10 being free for the first year. Then after the time is up the user(s) will be required to pay for it to continue to use it. Sounds like a subscription-based setup.

There was some confusion, however, when Microsoft's Terry Myerson started talking about Windows 10 "as a service." Did that mean that after that first year of free availability, Windows 10 would cost an annual fee? I asked Myerson for clarification after the presentation, and he confirmed that there will be no additional fees attached to Windows 10, whenever you buy it.

Myerson clarified that Windows 10 users will still get free updates and support for the lifetime of the OS, exactly like past versions of Windows (like XP and Windows 7's Service Packs, for example). There's no subscription model for updates or support or continuing to use the OS. Myerson's reference to Windows "as a service" simply meant that Microsoft plans to update the OS with smaller, more regular updates rather than the big, chunky updates of past Service Packs.

A year after Windows 10 is first available, it will no longer be a free upgrade for Windows 7 and 8 users. Microsoft will then sell Windows 10 the same way it has sold past versions of Windows. MS hasn't set a specific price yet, but Myerson said the price will likely be comparable to past versions of Windows. Windows 8 costs $120 on Amazon, for instance.

Source: http://www.pcgamer.com/microsoft-windows-10-will-not-be-sold-as-a-subscription/

Good find TF76. Kinda funny about the updates/windows as a service thing.. IIRC that's kinda the way it's been forever. lol. How much more "regular" do updates need to be.. Danged things are always popping up for an update as it is.

There was some confusion, however, when Microsoft's Terry Myerson started talking about Windows 10 "as a service." Did that mean that after that first year of free availability, Windows 10 would cost an annual fee? I asked Myerson for clarification after the presentation, and he confirmed that there will be no additional fees attached to Windows 10, whenever you buy it.

Myerson clarified that Windows 10 users will still get free updates and support for the lifetime of the OS, exactly like past versions of Windows (like XP and Windows 7's Service Packs, for example). There's no subscription model for updates or support or continuing to use the OS. Myerson's reference to Windows "as a service" simply meant that Microsoft plans to update the OS with smaller, more regular updates rather than the big, chunky updates of past Service Packs.

A year after Windows 10 is first available, it will no longer be a free upgrade for Windows 7 and 8 users. Microsoft will then sell Windows 10 the same way it has sold past versions of Windows. MS hasn't set a specific price yet, but Myerson said the price will likely be comparable to past versions of Windows. Windows 8 costs $120 on Amazon, for instance.

Source: http://www.pcgamer.com/microsoft-windows-10-will-not-be-sold-as-a-subscription/

This does shed some more light on the situation and clarifies some questions.

Back