Windows 10 20H2 bug breaks in-place upgrade feature

Porthos

Reaction score
After upgrading to the Windows 10 October 2020 update, a bug is not allowing users to perform in-place upgrades using the Microsoft Media Creation Tool (MCT).

When Windows 10 users experience issues with the operating system, they can use the MCT to perform an 'in-place upgrade' that overwrites existing files with new ones downloaded from Microsoft's servers.

In previous versions of Windows 10, when performing an upgrade using the Media Creation Tool (MCT), users are asked whether they want to 'Keep personal files and apps', 'Keep personal files only', or save 'Nothing.'

Thanks for posting this. I actually had someone hit this not two days ago, and have been at wits-end trying to figure out what, exactly, could possibly be wrong. It was so strange that an actual, broad-based bug, never entered my mind since nothing had hit the tech press yet!

Does this bug also affects repair installs started by running setup.exe from the ISO? The original article only mentions doing it from the Media Creation Tool.

Sure. The entire issue is about repair installs. I was wondering if it also occurs using the ISO as opposed to just the MCT as the article talks about.

Then, for complete clarity, a repair install that is using the ISO or bootable media created from the ISO.

I pretty much only go that method, as I've had too many failures due to interruption of internet connectivity when using the methods that depend on it. Using the ISO I know, even without internet, all the components necessary for a repair install or in-place feature update are already present. Any additional updates to Windows 10 that have occurred after the ISO was created are taken care of by Windows Update afterward.

That's the way most would do it, that's why I thought it odd that the article kept mentioning the MCT. IT journalism really could use improvement...

Back