Windows 10 in zombie mode

Erick

Reaction score
So, I've had two of these come across my bench in the past few weeks. The first the customer was more concerned about just getting the data but the second one, well, let's just say it's personal now.

Both machines are HP laptops. The first was Windows 7 and the second Windows 8. Both were thoughtfully upgraded to Windows 10 and by the customers testimonial, ran fine, for awhile.

When they're handed to me they boot to the standard Windows 10 background. The only thing on the screen is the pointer and three icons. The icons are the selectors for network, narrator and power. No login, no nothing. Ctrl+Alt+Del does nothing either. No Task Manager, etc.

I've booted into recovery however this is mostly useless since they've been upgraded to a different OS. It won't recognize restore points from a different OS.

When I try to boot into safe mode it just spins. I've let it run like that for a few hours, just for fun.

I'm convinced that it has something to do with an update, but I'm damned if I can figure out how to get to a point where I can remove them.

Any ideas?

Ahci and or secure boot enabled or disabled?
I usually have luck with corrupt windows booting win pe or ubcd and deleting any startup entries and files especially av
Firstly do a clone with ddrescue though.
Lazesoftware had been useful in the past too and d711 offline mode has some powerful features.

So, I've had two of these come across my bench in the past few weeks. The first the customer was more concerned about just getting the data but the second one, well, let's just say it's personal now.

Both machines are HP laptops. The first was Windows 7 and the second Windows 8. Both were thoughtfully upgraded to Windows 10 and by the customers testimonial, ran fine, for awhile.

When they're handed to me they boot to the standard Windows 10 background. The only thing on the screen is the pointer and three icons. The icons are the selectors for network, narrator and power. No login, no nothing. Ctrl+Alt+Del does nothing either. No Task Manager, etc.

I've booted into recovery however this is mostly useless since they've been upgraded to a different OS. It won't recognize restore points from a different OS.

When I try to boot into safe mode it just spins. I've let it run like that for a few hours, just for fun.

I'm convinced that it has something to do with an update, but I'm damned if I can figure out how to get to a point where I can remove them.

Any ideas?

I just came across this. What I did was stop it booting 3 x (turned it off mid boot) and then after that it booted right into the Windows 10 startup repair wizard. I went j to advanced options and chose restore to LAST BUILD. We went back to the last OS and that was it.

That said, I read up on this problem on many forums and you should be able to press enter and type the password in blindly then update the display drivers to fix this issue if you want to remain in Windows 10.

Majestic

P.S. This was an ASUS all in one system I worked on and I know Windows 10 has huge problems with Asus systems at the moment.

Back