Win9 Free Upgrade

In the past Microsoft has offered free upgrades of the OS for OEM systems shipping with the previous OS for a limited time during the release of the new OS. This is so OEMs don't get stuck with product that they can't move at full price because of the release of the new OS. I strongly suspect that this is what is being refereed to here.

If true I suspect there will be a nice increase in paid work for techs shortly after.. ;)

Color me *VERY* dubious! Also, I never, ever, want to "upgrade" my computer. I maintain 2 bootable partitions just so that I can do a clean install and migration.

Hank Arnold (Microsoft MVP)

From Wikipedia:
According to Microsoft, Microsoft Most Valuable Professional (MVP) award is given to "exceptional, independent community leaders who share their passion, technical expertise, and real-world knowledge of Microsoft products with others."

To me this says a lot about Microsoft. When a MS MVP is 'Very' dubious....

-Scott

edit: I am in no way being negative towards this forum member, just making an observation about MS based on what they said.

Last edited:
From Wikipedia:
According to Microsoft, Microsoft Most Valuable Professional (MVP) award is given to "exceptional, independent community leaders who share their passion, technical expertise, and real-world knowledge of Microsoft products with others."

To me this says a lot about Microsoft. When a MS MVP is 'Very' dubious....

-Scott

edit: I am in no way being negative towards this forum member, just making an observation about MS based on what they said.

I should have been a bit more precise in what I said. What I meant was that the idea the Microsoft would just give away Windows 10 (yes, that's the official name) to every Windows 8 user flies in the face of how Microsoft works. I don't see them throwing away money like that.

Keep in mind, that being an MVP doesn't make me or the others MS apologists. Some of MS harshest critics are MVPs.

The latest buzz is that only Windows 8 owners who purchased retail licenses will get a free upgrade. W7 and OEM W8 users will not get a free upgrade.

BTW, my comments about "upgrades" applies to ANY version of Windows. I never, ever, upgrade a Windows computer. I always do a "clean" install.

Hank...I get it. I wasn't being negative about you, actually just piggybacking on your use of the word dubious and your status as an MS MVP. If the MVP's are dubious about the issue, what must MS look like to the general public???

That's all i'm saying. I think we actually are on the same page, you wrote:

Some of MS harshest critics are MVPs.

that's my point in what I posted above. :)

-Scott

Hank...I get it. I wasn't being negative about you, actually just piggybacking on your use of the word dubious and your status as an MS MVP. If the MVP's are dubious about the issue, what must MS look like to the general public???

That's all i'm saying. I think we actually are on the same page, you wrote:

Some of MS harshest critics are MVPs.

that's my point in what I posted above. :)

-Scott

Scott, appreciate that.

I just wanted to make that clear. I still get occasional posts accusing me of being a MS shill. If only they knew! ;)

Back