Win 10 64bit slow accesing networked FoxPro

DRPCNZ

Reaction score
Okay here’s the situation. Client has a server running Windows Server 2012 Essentials R2, there is 4 computers running a line of business application written in FoxPro 10 which is on the server and runs via a mapped drive. Network is CAT5E with gigabit switch and gigabit NIC’s

All 4 workstations (Custom Built) are members of the local domain and run Win 7 32 bit. FoxPro program runs fine loads in around 4 seconds ready to use.

New Workstation #5 (Custom Built) has the latest generation Intel i5-8400 processor running Win 10 Pro 64 bit 1803 and is a member of the domain again with Gigabit NIC. Workstation is fine doing anything except running the FoxPro program, take 27 seconds to open.

Workstation #5 disconnected and 1 of the others connected in same place no issues. Reterminated network cabling (clutching at straws and desperation) no change, Updated NIC driver, no change. Changed speed to 1.0GB full duplex from auto negotiation no change

Setup another computer using older generation Intel processor with Win 10 64bit it is as fast as the Win 7 workstations to load FoxPro program

Program is excluded from Virus scanning, tested with ESET installed and disabled, firewall enabled and disabled, no change. SMB1.0 was enabled to connect computer 5 to domain, OPLOCKS and SMB2 turned off as pre recommendations from Software company.

I have lots of clients all running this same program but this site is the only one running Windows Server 2012 Essentials R2, and this latest generation Intel processor.

Looking for ideas and suggestions on what else I can try. At this stage it looks like I will be building a new system with the older generation Intel Processor.

Okay here’s the situation. Client has a server running Windows Server 2012 Essentials R2, there is 4 computers running a line of business application written in FoxPro 10 which is on the server and runs via a mapped drive. Network is CAT5E with gigabit switch and gigabit NIC’s

All 4 workstations (Custom Built) are members of the local domain and run Win 7 32 bit. FoxPro program runs fine loads in around 4 seconds ready to use.

New Workstation #5 (Custom Built) has the latest generation Intel i5-8400 processor running Win 10 Pro 64 bit 1803 and is a member of the domain again with Gigabit NIC. Workstation is fine doing anything except running the FoxPro program, take 27 seconds to open.

Workstation #5 disconnected and 1 of the others connected in same place no issues. Reterminated network cabling (clutching at straws and desperation) no change, Updated NIC driver, no change. Changed speed to 1.0GB full duplex from auto negotiation no change

Setup another computer using older generation Intel processor with Win 10 64bit it is as fast as the Win 7 workstations to load FoxPro program

Program is excluded from Virus scanning, tested with ESET installed and disabled, firewall enabled and disabled, no change. SMB1.0 was enabled to connect computer 5 to domain, OPLOCKS and SMB2 turned off as pre recommendations from Software company.

I have lots of clients all running this same program but this site is the only one running Windows Server 2012 Essentials R2, and this latest generation Intel processor.

Looking for ideas and suggestions on what else I can try. At this stage it looks like I will be building a new system with the older generation Intel Processor.
It has been a long time since I worked with VFP.
Is the program Visual AccouintMate by any chance?

To all that offered thanks a lot. The fix that I went to was to replace the Intel 8th generation CPU box with one running an Intel Generation 7 PCU.

FoxPro speed issue solved

So recap 8th gen Intel processor with Win 10 64bit 8Gb ram connecting to Windows Sever Essentials 2012 R2 server running FoxPro 10 Line of Business application and 5 other computers all on the same domain running Windows 7 Gigabit network cabling. All computers OS updated to latest security patches NIC drivers updated to latest driver All computers open FoxPro across network from shared drive in approx. 4 seconds, 8th Gen Computer takes 27 seconds SMB 1 on, SMB 2 off and Opslock off for FoxPro as per vendors instruction. FoxPro excluded from virus scan on all workstations Checksum offload disabled IPV6 disabled on all computers.

REMOVE 8th Gen computer and replace with a computer running Windows 10 64bit 8Gb ram and Intel 7th Generation CPU FoxPro application opens in 4 seconds

To all that offered thanks a lot. The fix that I went to was to replace the Intel 8th generation CPU box with one running an Intel Generation 7 PCU.

So recap 8th gen Intel processor with Win 10 64bit 8Gb ram connecting to Windows Sever Essentials 2012 R2 server running FoxPro 10 Line of Business application and 5 other computers all on the same domain running Windows 7 Gigabit network cabling. All computers OS updated to latest security patches NIC drivers updated to latest driver All computers open FoxPro across network from shared drive in approx. 4 seconds, 8th Gen Computer takes 27 seconds SMB 1 on, SMB 2 off and Opslock off for FoxPro as per vendors instruction. FoxPro excluded from virus scan on all workstations Checksum offload disabled IPV6 disabled on all computers.

REMOVE 8th Gen computer and replace with a computer running Windows 10 64bit 8Gb ram and Intel 7th Generation CPU FoxPro application opens in 4 seconds

Even at my age I can be surprised. I wonder if this has anything to do with Spectre or Meltdown patches?

Even at my age I can be surprised. I wonder if this has anything to do with Spectre or Meltdown patches?

Metanis who would know after 10 hours that I have to wear because I don't believe that I can charge my client for it I found a solution and I stopped looking

Back