[SOLVED] What video cables needed for Surface Dock 2

HCHTech

Reaction score
I am trying to remotely setup a new surface dock 2, and I'm thinking I got the wrong video cables, but before I purchase another guess, thought I would ask the hive mind since my googling isn't bearing fruit.

Client has:

Surface Pro 7
2 x Dell Ultrasharp 2415 monitors (connectors = HDMI, DP & mini-DP)

I purchased and shipped:

Surface Dock 2
2 x Startech USB-C to DP cables. Part number CDP2DP141MB. Here.

This isn't my first rodeo working with surface docks, but it IS my first with the new USB-C centered Dock 2.

The first thing I did was make sure that Windows was completely patched to date. So it is a 2004, with all current driver updates. After connecting the dock, I also searched for updates again, and when none was found, downloaded the Surface Dock Updater Tool. It reports the dock is at the latest firmware.

When both monitors are connected and everything is powered on, the Windows Display settings app shows all monitors and they are correctly identified by name. In fact, when I remote into the Surface, I can work with all monitors, move windows between them, set any one of them as the main display, etc. The trouble is that physically, the monitors are not displaying an image. They are giving the standard "no video input detected".

I had the client cycle through the video inputs for each monitor, but when they choose the DP input, no image is produced, even though the Surface itself thinks it is outputing video to that monitor.

I suspected that maybe there were different cables that had different capabilities, but I couldn't confirm that. I also looked at microsoft's documentation to see if there were any special requirements for the cables. I found none.

In looking at the documentation for the Startech cables I bought, I did find this:

"The Plugable USB-C to DisplayPort Adapter Cable enables a DisplayPort display to be connected to a computer via a USB-C port or Thunderbolt 3 port which supports “VESA DisplayPort Alternate Mode over USB-C" ("Alt Mode")."

I tried to ascertain whether the Dock 2 supported "alt mode" or not, but couldn't find a single mention about that anywhere.

I can't believe I need to buy monitors with USB-C connectors to make this work.

Does anyone have any hints for me?

Last edited:
I assume you've rebooted the Surface after setup. Have you tried just one monitor? I did a quick look around and saw a post that indicated certain situations may only drive one monitor.

Cable are cables are cables. But some are more than others. Startech is an awesome brand so I'd expect them to work as advertised.

Forgot to add. Did you try having the EU play with the settings on the display itself to a lower standard?

Last edited:
We have tried rebooting the surface more than once during this process and similarly, restarting the dock. We also tried driving only one monitor from the dock (unplugging the second video cable completely).

I have NOT tried hooking a monitor directly to the surface because we ran out of time, but I did ask that they try that and let me know.

i also have not tried reducing the resolution on the surface itself. The display was at its standard 2736 x 1834 (3:2) and both external displays were set to 1920 x 1200, the native resolution for those units (16:10).

Apparently, it may be possible to update the firmware of the monitors (found this late last night) - learn something new every day. I'll dig into that to see...

I also found a mention of requiring 59Hz if you are going to use 4K monitors. I'm not, but it can't hurt to try that, either. From reading the various discussions about other surface models and 4K monitors, it does seem like there are hardware limitations to resolution & frequency, so dialing one or both back a bit sounds like a path to possible success.

Sadly, this is one of my business client owners, who has a vacation home in Florida. She can bring the surface back for me to physically look at, but I don't think the suggestion that she cart the entire setup back here will be well received. I may just try to do a tech support chat with Microsoft if none of these efforts are successful.

Thought I would cycle back and let folks know how this resolved. I purchased USB-C-to-HDMI cables and sent them down with her on the next trip. They worked the first time. No chance to figure out why. I've got the set of USB-C-to-DP cables here, but don't think I have anything that would drive them. I'm sure it's a compatibility thing somewhere, but couldn't get to the bottom of it.

Back