Monitor malfunction with Lenovo dock

TechLady

Reaction score
User states "The monitor continues to go dark, then return to function. Three times this morning and I was in a two hour meeting, during which time it was not in use. The duration of the “blink” appears to be getting longer. It takes a bit longer to return to function."

Laptop is Lenovo X1 Carbon - this one I think: Lenovo ThinkPad X1 Extreme Gen 5 - 16" - Core i7 12800H - vPro Enterprise - 16 GB RAM - 1 TB SSD

Dock is Lenovo ThinkPad Universal USB-C Smart Dock - USB-C - HDMI, 2 x DP

Monitor is an ultrawide Samsung of some sort. DP connection I think.

Have updated all drivers, and have replaced almost everything that can be replaced. What would you be looking for?

Power failing in the Dock? Is it possible to plug the Monitor directly into the PC (or another PC) to test?

It could be the Monitor is drawing more current than the dock can supply.

You need the Lenovo Thunderbolt 4 docks....the USB-C dock does not work with the Lenovo laptops that require the higher capacity AC adapters that need 135 watts or higher (such as the X1 Extreme, or many of the P series).

You need the Lenovo Thunderbolt 4 docks....the USB-C dock does not work with the Lenovo laptops that require the higher capacity AC adapters that need 135 watts or higher (such as the X1 Extreme, or many of the P series).
Hmmm. I could swear I tried that at one point but I'll try again...worth a shot. I was wondering if DP 1.2 cables might be another issue...may try HDMI.

You do want newer DP cables for sure...but I do a LOT....of Thinkpads and Lenovo docks....with 1x monitor, depending on it, you might get a monitor to work for a bit. But the laptop likely is not fully charging because the USB-C dock with the smaller AC adapter cant provide enough juice. Try dual monitors...and you're more likely to run into issues.

Scroll down and check the compatibility tab on each of the below 3 links. I book marked them a while ago just to keep track of which TP models properly work with which dock.

Back