W10 1703: Mysterious Memory Leak

G8racingfool

Reaction score
Alright guys this is a bit of a strange one. I'm just about at the nuke-n-pave stage on this system here but I figured I'd see if anyone here has had anything similar happen and managed to solve it.

I've got a system here that's a newer Intel based system (i5-6500T/8GB Memory) running Windows 10 Pro 1703 (the oh-so-joyous "Creators Update") that will randomly decide to just start chewing up commit charge to the point where the customer starts getting low memory errors and eventually the system crashes. I've been troubleshooting this for a while now and the strange thing is that, when using perfmon, none of the listed processes really ever change in terms of how much commit they're using (some might go up a touch others will go down a touch, but nothing that adds up to over double what the initial idle level is).

So far I've tried:

- Disabling all startup programs/services.
- Disabling/uninstalling the video driver (initially thought this was the cause, it isn't.)
- Checking to make sure that the splwow64.exe app wasn't causing it (it isn't).
- Checking to see if any tasks run or new processes appear when the issue starts happening (nothing apparent).
- Ensuring it isn't a broken user profile (there's two profiles on the system, both do it, logging out/back in does nothing to lower the CC).

It seems to happen fairly randomly and there is no set-in-stone time period for it to occur. For example, yesterday the system worked fine all morning from 8:00am until about 12:00pm when it glitched out. After restarting, it behaved for about 1.5 hours and did it again. After that it behaved for the rest of the day, left it on overnight and this morning it's right back up there again (this overnight period was with all programs shut down and the system left idle).

I've also tried process explorer to see if I could narrow down something that way but, like perfmon, nothing really changes.

So at this point, I've got two theories.

1. There's a driver somewhere with a memory leak. The issue would be finding which one it is. Anybody have any suggestions on how to test for that?

2. If it's not a driver, then either a Windows process has a leak or Windows isn't properly releasing memory. If this is the case, I'd think a N&P would be in order.

Of course, I could be way off and somebody here will say something that'll make me say "duh, why didn't I check that??" so have at it.

tl;dr: computer with W10 1703 randomly chews up commit charge and crashes system. have drive several different things to troubleshoot, no luck. ready to nuke system and start over, want to see if anyone has any suggestions before I do.

If this is from a Royalty OEM (Dell, HP etc) a reload wouldn't hurt. I've seen issues with the factory images before.

I should mention that this is not a factory image. This is a fresh loaded copy of W10 1703 that was done about a month ago by me (using straight-from-Microsoft installation media that I've used on other systems with no issues). The system worked a-ok initially but about a week or two afterwards is when this issue started appearing. To this point, no additional software has been loaded and nothing was changed to my knowledge (the customer is a very 'hands off' type person).

Ok well you answered my initial question was if this was a clean install which it was.

I would look into Services and disable Windows Search and Superfetch. I just setup a brand new Dell Desktop. Core i5 with 12GB RAM and disk usage was sping to 90% after disabling those services the issue went away. I've had to do this here and there on some machines but never been an issue since.

If nothing is standing out in process explorer, or task manager that is helpful, and no malware shows up (MBAM, Defender), trying to solve it logically might be too time intensive...

Nuke and pave, that will rule out the simple glitch with OS install/botched driver, well-hidden bitcoin miners, etc...

Assorted MB/chipset drivers all installed, vice relying on MS's sometimes-less-than-optimal default drivers for assorted hardware?

Last edited:
Assorted MB/chipset drivers all installed, vice relying on MS's sometimes-less-than-optimal default drivers for assorted hardware?

Yep, all drivers are up-to-date using SDIO.

Looks like N&P is going to be the way to go. I'm not going to waste any more time trying to dink around with this crap so I'll just reload the thing this weekend.

Back