[O365] You don't often get email from XXX (Learn why this is important).

thecomputerguy

Reaction score
I enabled the standard preset security policy for a new O365 tenant and every single email that comes through is has this message attached to it at the top of the email.

1710174971223.png
1710174978260.png

I figured this would go away at some point due to Microsoft AI figuring out who you do and don't often get mail from. It looks like nothing is happening because it's been over a week now and every single email is STILL being flagged with this notice even when emails are sent internally from person to person.

Reading online it says that the "First contact safety tip" needs to be disabled, but I am unable to disable it because it is "System-Controlled"

1710175148894.png

So others were saying your have to disable the Office365 AntiPhish Default but I can't disable it or delete it is always on and it can't be disabled per Microsoft

1710175247379.png
1710175329114.png

This safety tip getting very frustrating for the users. How do I stop this notice.

Maybe this will deal with it I disabled "Enabled Automatic" and it game me the option to disable the First contact safety tip now.

1710176036620.png

I'll be curious to see what answers you get, and what other reports may arise. I turned this setting on last week for one of my local clients and have not received any calls about something like this happening, and I'm virtually certain I would have were every message being tagged that way.

Well that's cute ... when I unchecked "Enable Automatic - System-controller impersonation protection (Reccomended)" then reloaded the page and checked the policy again it kept re-enabling itself. The only way I'm able to get it to turn off is to disable EVERYTHING in the policy screen.

1710176941671.png

Yeah I'm just using the standard defaults ... it still looks like messages are being tagged as "You don't often get ...." maybe it takes a while to take effect or something ... I don't see what's wrong with my settings, I need this message to go away.

1710190668471.png
1710190677779.png

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1710190701373.png

A lot of missing checkmarks there I'd want turned on...yikes.

Those pre canned (pre configured) policies are a bit...watered down, not as granular as when you create from scratch. Or..missing granularity because it's not BizPrem, or a lower license with Defender P1 added?

A lot of missing checkmarks there I'd want turned on...yikes.

Those pre canned (pre configured) policies are a bit...watered down, not as granular as when you create from scratch. Or..missing granularity because it's not BizPrem, or a lower license with Defender P1 added?

I just turned them all off to see if I could get the "You don't get mail often from blah blah blah" to go away

So now they are all off and users are still getting spammed with "You don't get mail often from blah blah blah" with EVERY.SINGLE.EMAIL

HOW DO I TURN THIS DAMN THING OFF

Last edited:
Takes approx an hour (give or take several) for changes to kick in.
What I do is create a custom policy for each of the 5 categories....
So do that, and leave that setting empty, and then disable the Standard Policy that you had.

Takes approx an hour (give or take several) for changes to kick in.
What I do is create a custom policy for each of the 5 categories....
So do that, and leave that setting empty, and then disable the Standard Policy that you had.

IM LEARNING ....

Apparently ... Safety tips are enabled by default using the standard preset security policy, so I disabled that ... now I have to learn what some good guidelines are for custom policies.

Back