Vista Corrupt Downloads Saga Continues

ClickRight

Reaction score
This is an update on THIS THREAD.

I did a fresh install of Vista SP2 using only the original memory (thinking there may be something wrong with the 2GB I added, even though it passes memtest.)

While I can now install Windows updates, downloads are still coming in corrupt. For example, I downloaded the latest display driver. Vista gave me an "Unspecifid error 0x800004005" when I tried to extract it. Also, 7-zip would not extract the files, citing missing files.

When I tried to install 7-zip over the network, it complained that the installer was corrupt. I started the install again, and it worked fine.

I'm thinking maybe I should change the NIC?

Edit: PS. All other computers on the same network have having no trouble downloading files.

Update: Replaced the NIC. I attempted to install .Net Framework 3.5 SP1 from a network share and I get the error Extraction failed - "File is corrupt"

I ran through another MB / CPU / RAM test through PC-Check, and then a 30-min torture test. All passed with flying colours.

I have all the latest drivers installed, and it's a clean install of Vista.

I really don't know where to go from here. I just don't understand it. Some files I can download just fine. It seems like it has to be over5MB before there's a problem. ANY suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

EDIT: Just got my first BSOD since the fresh install: 0x0000001A (I was getting all 0x00000050 BSODs before I reinstalled Vista.)

Last edited:
Is that machine running an AMD processor and ATI chipset? If so, I have seen several machines with screwy sata controllers causing the same things you are describing. I wound up replacing the mobo in them since they were cheaper than an add-on controller and would eliminate any issues.

Is that machine running an AMD processor and ATI chipset? If so, I have seen several machines with screwy sata controllers causing the same things you are describing. I wound up replacing the mobo in them since they were cheaper than an add-on controller and would eliminate any issues.

Sorry, it's an Intel Pentium D with an Intel chipset.

Update: I replaced the PSU as the 12v rail was low (I can't remember exactly at the moment, I think it was about 11.4 - 11.7v) and then there were no more corrupt downloads / file transfers!

But... I just got a blue screen: 0x00000050

.. The saga continues

I'm not too familiar with PC-Check. Have you actually ran the manufacturer's hard disk diagnostic? Have you ran Memtest86?

If those passed "with flying colors", then it sounds suspiciously like a faulty motherboard, good chance something to do with the HD Controller.

You could try a fresh IDE drive to rule out the SATA controller.

If you have a spare motherboard to test with try this as well.

SOLVED:

I decided to leave Linx running to test for stability. After about 45 minutes, it failed. I tested again to be sure and about 40 minutes in it failed again.

I replaced the CPU with a Pentium D I had laying around and left Linx running overnight with no errors.

However, it looks like I'll have to take a look at the heatsink and check the temperature as the CPU fan is spinning much faster than before.

All in all, replacing the PSU solved the corrupt downloads, and replacing the CPU resolved the stability issues. I'm guessing that the PSU could have damaged the CPU in some way. Perhaps this machine was affected by the lightening storm we had a couple weeks back, but I haven't seen any other computers affected by it.

Well done !

Maybe you should recommend Linx in 'Repair Tools of the Week'.

Its not necessarily a repair tool; but could come in handy :) I'm goin' to give it a try later today .. Looks quite good . Cheers

Well done !

Maybe you should recommend Linx in 'Repair Tools of the Week'.

Its not necessarily a repair tool; but could come in handy :) I'm goin' to give it a try later today .. Looks quite good . Cheers

Thanks! I'll tell ya, this computer was a nightmare, I was very happy to get it out of here today!

Linx has been very helpful in diagnosing problems with PSUs, Motherboards, RAM, and now, CPUs! Definitely give it a try.

Back