Home Server

Larry Mashburn

Reaction score
I had an interesting Windows 10 issue last night. I have a media server that I want to install on my home network. Gave it a clean install of Windows 10 Pro and was waiting till I got a 2tb drive to put in it to store movies and music with plex. Got the hard drive. Installed the hard drive. Plug everything up, including my external hard drive with files I want to move to new hard drive. Computer won't boot. Say it will do a self diagnosis. Fails. Reboots, and continues to want to diagnose issue. I click advanced, and tell it to reset cause this has nothing on it that I care about. I click yes, yes, yes. Reboots and shows it is resetting the computer. Cool. About 10 minutes later, it is still stuck on 2% and it hits me like a freight train. My USB drive is still plugged in. Oh crap. I panic and unplug it. Check it on my laptop, and all my data is still there. Phew. That was close. I continue to let it sit on 2% for the next hour. Nothing. I hit the power button. Nothing. Hold the power button to power cycle. Reboots and tells me the computer has no operating system on hard disc. Uninstall the new Hard Drive and same result. So now I need to reinstall windows, but my data is safe..for now.

PS. Is there an ISO for Win 10? Do I use the Win 7 key? I think it should have transferred over. This is going to be a bit different than usual. Any tips?

Well, you need to do some basic troubleshooting. What happened sounds very odd. Was this a white box computer? UEFI in play? What is the BIOS boot order?

Well, you need to do some basic troubleshooting. What happened sounds very odd. Was this a white box computer? UEFI in play? What is the BIOS boot order?
It was a newer dell optiplex 790, i5 plenty of ram squeaky clean. I never checked boot menu. I just added a sata 2tb hard drive and started it up. I got a welcome screen, even had the username and password screen come up. Then everything crashed. It was really strange. I will diagnose it and figure out what is going on, But I think pulling the plug on the reset is what is giving me no OS message. I will update when I find more.

Back