The difference between SHIFT+F10 and the Context Menu/Applications Key

britechguy

Reaction score
In working with folks who are blind, I do a lot more with the keyboard than is typical for a sighted individual. Microsoft's own keyboard shortcut documentation for Windows states that SHIFT+F10 and the actual hard Context Menu/Application Key are functionally equivalent. In practice, and on very rare occasions, they are not. On one of the blind tech groups I'm on, one of these divergences arose this morning. One of the members offered the following, which does explain a lot, and I had never seen any documentation like this in all my years of working with Windows, so I thought I'd paste it here for your consideration.

-----
Check out the following about the extended context menu and the, Shift + F10, or the, Shift + aplications key, keystrokes.

https://www.askvg.com/tip-customize-hidden-extended-send-to-menu-in-windows-add-or-remove-shortcuts/

[Tip] Customize Hidden “Extended Send To” Menu in Windows, Add or Remove Shortcuts

When Windows Vista was released, Microsoft added a new feature to the OS which is called "Extended Context Menu". Context menu is the menu which is shown
when you right-click on an item and extended context menu is an advanced form of it. Extended context menu can be accessed by press and hold SHIFT key
and then right-click on an item.

Extended context menu adds a few extra options to normal context menu which are only shown when you press and hold Shift key while right-clicking otherwise
you'll get normal context menu.

You can check these extended context menus anywhere in Windows such as Desktop, Windows Explorer, etc. Just press and hold Shift key and right-click and
you'll see some new options in the context menu such as open command prompt here, copy as path, etc.

Extended context menu feature is not only present in Windows Vista but also present in all Windows OS which were released after Windows Vista such as Windows
7 and Windows 8.

The same extended context menu concept applies to good old "
Send To"
menu. Almost all Windows users use "Send To" feature, its one of the most useful and widely used feature of Windows OS. It allows you to quickly copy files,
folder, etc to other places such as Bluetooth device, Desktop, DVD drive, etc.

When you right-click on an item and select "Send To" menu, it shows the following items by default:

list of 7 items
• Bluetooth device
• Compressed (zipped) folder
• Desktop (create shortcut)
• Documents
• Fax recipient
• Mail recipient
• DVD Drive
list end

Number of items might be different for different systems.

Have you ever tried to access "Extended Send To" menu in Windows? Press and hold SHIFT key and then right-click on an item and select "Send To" menu. Now
you'll get many other shortcuts present in the menu as shown in following screenshot:

As you can see in the above screenshot, there are several extra shortcuts present in "Extended Send To" menu such as Contacts, Downloads, Favorites, Searches,
etc.

The normal "Send To" menu can be customized by opening "SendTo" folder and there you can add or remove desired shortcuts.

To access "SendTo" folder, type shell:sendto in RUN dialog box or Explorer addressbar and press Enter. It'll open "SendTo" folder:

You can see in the above image, all default shortcuts which are shown in "Send To" menu are present in "SendTo" folder. You can delete an item to immediately
remove it from "Send To" menu or you can copy any desired shortcut in the folder to add it in "Send To" menu.

Now the question comes how to customize "Extended Send To" menu? Recently an AskVG reader "J.R. Rickman" asked us about customizing "Extended Send To"
menu:

I have tried for sometime now to edit my "Send to Extended menu", this is the one you would use: "Shift + Send to" from the Context Menu. I have tried
a great number of third party tools and none have given me the ability to edit any of the options that show up in the "Extended-Send to menu." I have also
used the "Shell: Send to" command which only shows the listing for the standard Send to list (not the Extended list). So of course, I know there is a way
to accomplish the editing process, but I am not sure if it is in the Registry or in a file that I cannot find. At any rate, if you have a fix this problem,
I would certainly be interested.

Actually this "Extended Send To" menu doesn't store its shortcuts in Windows Registry. Customizing the menu is very easy if you know the process.

Today in this tutorial, we are going to tell you a simple way to customize "Extended Send To" menu in Windows Vista, Windows 7 and Windows 8. With the
help of this tutorial, you'll be able to add new shortcuts to "Extended Send To" menu as well as remove existing shortcuts from "Extended Send To" menu.
The beauty of this trick is the newly added shortcuts will only appear if you press and hold SHIFT key while right-clicking on an item otherwise the shortcuts
will not appear. So it'll not increase the size of "Send To" menu.

So without wasting time lets start the tutorial:

1. "Extended Send To" menu shows the extra shortcuts which are taken right from your User Profile folder. All shortcuts which are present in your user
folder are shown in "Extended Send To" menu. Can't believe? Here is the proof:

Type %userprofile% or . (yes, a single dot) in RUN dialog box and press Enter. It'll open your user profile folder which will contain following items:

As you can see in the above screenshot, all shortcuts which are present in the user profile folder are visible in "Extended Send To" menu shown in image

2. If you want to add a new item to "Extended Send To" menu, simply create a shortcut of it in your user profile folder. For example, we have created a
new folder "Personal Stuff" in our user profile folder:

And it immediately gets added to "Extended Send To" menu as shown in following screenshot:

3. If you want to remove a shortcut from "Extended Send To" menu, simply delete it from your user profile folder. For example, we are deleting 3 shortcuts
from user profile folder: Contacts, Downloads and Saved Games:

And Windows immediately removes the shortcuts from "Extended Send To" menu as shown in following screenshot:

PS: Make sure to take a backup of the folder before deleting it so that you can restore it later or can access your data.

So you can see customizing "Extended Send To" menu is very easy task. You can add any desired shortcut or remove any unwanted shortcut from the menu without
editing Registry or any system file.

Did you already know about "Extended Send To" menu? Do you use it regularly? Feel free to share your feedback in your comment...

I noticed the last comment on that article mentioned the extended send to menu doesn't work anymore. No difference on my machine between shift or not.

I didn't see any mention of SHIFT + F10 in the article but SHIFT + F10 opens the extended context menu which is equivalent to SHIFT + Right Click.

Back