Dell Optiplex 960 update issue - please help

cyde_ePhex

Reaction score
I recently picked up a Dell Optiplex 960 from a local pawn shop for $85 with Windows 7 Professional installed. Problem is that I cannot get Windows update to download any updates or even start for that matter. I have installed some updates via WSUS offline, but I still cannot get this machine current (and IE is still on version 8). Btw, I have done 2 clean installs since I picked it up (the second was due to updates not working and figured a redo would fix it).

From my Maxfocus dashboard the vulnerability scan fails (this install is about two weeks old), but via the dashboard, I can see some installed updates and some that constantly fail.

Error messages that I get:

The Windows Update (wuauserv) service might be disabled on scan target

Windows Update cannot currently check for updates, because the service is not running. You may need to restart your computer.

Internet Explorer needs updating before it can install (Tried downloading the Prerequisite updates for Internet Explorer 11)

When trying to download the Prerequisites: Installer encountered an error 0xc8000247 (so none of the Prerequisites install

What I have done/tried:

Confirmed the Windows Update (wuauserv) service is running

Checked to see if there is an issue with the Windows update Agent

Manually reset Windows Update components

Ran Windows Update Troubleshooter (along with the Background Intelligent Transfer Service)

*Troubleshooter completes:

Service registration is missing or corrupt – FIXED

Problems installing recent updates – FIXED

Problems installing recent updates – FIXED (yes, it is listed twice)

Restart the computer – no change

Any other suggestions or insight would be greatly appreciated.

*Not sure if this matters or not, but this is the first business class machine that I have worked on so if there is something funky that I may not know about (such as a setting in the BIOS or whatnot), please let me know….gently :).

Thanks in advance!

Back