Trying to recover Chrome bookmarks

Velvis

Reaction score
I have a hard drive that stopped booting. I put a new drive in the PC and brought everything back via OneDrive.

I put the problem hard drive in an external enclosure and it shows up fine in my work computer.

However, I cant seem to get access to the AppData folder in order to grab Chrome's bookmarks. (He never signed into chrome to sync them in the cloud.)

I have tried taking ownership of the folder but it gives me an "Error Applying Security" and it says the drive is write protected.

Any ideas whats going on?

No I haven't. I don't do alot of this type of work and have always just used a Windows PC.

Sent from my moto g stylus using Tapatalk

No I haven't. I don't do alot of this type of work and have always just used a Windows PC.

Chrome OS is a variant of Linux. Files may be in ext4 format. No wonder Windows threw a hissy-fit where as Linux reads just about all file types with ease. Linux can read from one file type (ext4) and write to another (FAT32, NTFS, etc.).

Chrome OS is a variant of Linux. Files may be in ext4 format. No wonder Windows threw a hissy-fit where as Linux reads just about all file types with ease. Linux can read from one file type (ext4) and write to another (FAT32, NTFS, etc.).

It's not Chrome OS, it's Chrome Browser in M$.

For files and folders that you cant access i have used Total Commander from https://www.ghisler.com/ with success to copy files. I only use the free version and it works fine for instances like this. Alternatively as others have said, boot to a WinPE/Linux live CD and you should be able to copy it no problem

Get the "bookmarks" file from "X:\Users\User_Name\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default" folder. That should do the trick

He never signed into chrome to sync them in the cloud.

I hope you have advised this client to do so, pronto, after you get all this stuff back. It's not like Google isn't keeping track of your every move to begin with if you're using Chrome, so you'd might as well use features that make your own life easier.

For files and folders that you cant access i have used Total Commander from https://www.ghisler.com/ with success to copy files. I only use the free version and it works fine for instances like this. Alternatively as others have said, boot to a WinPE/Linux live CD and you should be able to copy it no problem
Total Commander worked perfectly. Thank you for the tip!

Back