Inspiron 7777 aio wait for two hours to login

Rigo

Reaction score
Brought the computer back to the shop to clone the drive to a new one.
Booting up from the clone or the original drive I get the same message that login is disabled due to multiple shutdown or something similar. Not saying that the PIN is incorrect but disabled.
Never had that from hdd replacement to the same computer.
Win10 but secure boot is on in bios, wonder whether that could be the source of the problem. Don't want to restart to try disabling it then have to wait again if not the fix.:(🤔

Attachments

• Inspiron 7777 AIO Login blockage.jpg
    Inspiron 7777 AIO Login blockage.jpg
    366.9 KB · Views: 10
I'd be inclined to think the device was waiting to reboot after an OS update and instead went into hibernation. I'd interrupt the startup routine 3 or 4 times until it offers the boot repair menu and then try and get it to startup in Safe Mode. Then uninstall the latest update and try to boot normally again.

know the password, use it
There was no option to use a password even though the message seemed to offer it.
PIN or two hours wait, by the way the blockage did get lifted after serving the required wait.
For someone trying to resolve a problem this is really a killer :mad:
I can't really see the usefulness of that time blockage for someone who has physical access to the computer.
Also the reasons for triggering it seem odd, multiple shutdowns?

I'd be inclined to think the device was waiting to reboot after an OS update and instead went into hibernation. I'd interrupt the startup routine 3 or 4 times until it offers the boot repair menu and then try and get it to startup in Safe Mode. Then uninstall the latest update and try to boot normally again.
The shutdown process did not indicate pending restart from updates. Usually there would be a flag indicating that.

When fast start is enabled in Windows, shutting down does not actually shut it down.

One of the reasons I've stopped using Shutdown at all if I have to do "quick and dirty" work on a machine where I have no idea if it's enabled or not. Using Restart instead guarantees a fresh reload of Windows from disk.

It's also one of the reasons I disable Fast Startup as part of my standard setup protocol for a new Windows machine. On machines with SSDs you will never notice any perceptible difference in boot speed whether it's on or off, and that's the vast majority of newer machines.

I still can't figure out what genius at Microsoft thought that hibernating the machine God knows how many times in succession wouldn't result in problems. And that's what Fast Startup is - the Windows system state is hibernated, but not the user state. If I really want hibernation then I want both system state and user state preserved.

I still can't figure out what genius at Microsoft thought
Must be the same guy who thought:
- Let's hide the Defender icon. It's well known antivirus warnings are useless!
- Let's the "server" service on for everyone & every desktop. Attack surface? Don't care
- Let's the touchscreen service on, even without a touchscreen. RAM & loading time? Don't care
- Let's put a nice picture on the logon screen & blur it, so no one can see it!
- Let's install ton of apps on the computer without even asking the owner... (You don't want games, let's install them anyway. So what they're taking up space (desktop/SSD/start menu) and you have to pay to play?
- Let's put the weather on the taskbar. Yeap, first role of an operating system and no one is really looking out their window nowadays...
- Let's make the file search function so slow & complicated, it's now faster to open CMD and do a "dir /s" like it's 1990...
- You name it :)

Let's make the file search function so slow & complicated, it's now faster to open CMD and do a "dir /s"

Or use the Everything Search from Voidtools. That's what I've been doing for years now.

I virtually never search for anything based on file content, and on the very, very rare occasion where I need to I will use Windows Search for that. But for file name only search, I've never seen anything faster than Everything. You can set it up to index on file content, too, but I don't use it often enough to justify the overhead.

Back