The myriad Microsoft Visual C++ Resdistributables - Can any be deleted?

britechguy

Reaction score
This is something I've wondered for many years, but am frustrated now because winget is constantly barfing with an exit code of 1603 on one of the 2008 versions. Here's a part of the Control Panel, Programs and Features on the machine I'm typing from:

1680302835146.png

I have to believe that all of these are just not necessary, but Microsoft never seems to delete earlier versions when a replacement comes along. If I can safely nuke all prior to the 2013 version and newer, I'll just do that. But I want to make certain this won't cause an immense conflagration before doing so.

Just one rat here, but I routinely do this on my own machines (and used to occasionally on client's machines) and never saw a problem. Microsoft's position has always been that you only need the latest but (edited to agree slightly with @Sky-Knight) that doesn't guarantee that some badly-written niche application isn't tightly bound to an old version.

I'd give it a try and see what happens. System Restore A reliable image backup is your friend.

Last edited:
Doesn't really matter, only problem is patches if necessary. And you can do that with winget upgrade --all now.

IF you decide to remove one, remove them ALL. Then reinstall whatever application complains, that's the hard part. And yes, the apps will need specific versions.

Back