Ever had one of those PC's that seems determined to have the last laugh?

itSaviours

Reaction score
I recently got a call that was a referral from another customer who I've done frequent work for in the past so i was keen to help.

The machine in question was probably on the edge of the area i'm prepared to work in purely due to distance reasons and the customer had said that it was an XP machine that was running really slow, there were warning messages at startup and IE was freezing up his machine.

So off i go one evening to meet them, really nice folks, no problems there and get down to work, fresh cup of tea in hand.

First thing i notice is that its a really old XP machine, one of the old Athlon models and only has 512meg of ram in it.

Well that and that its stuffed full of bloatware like useless HP printer addons, Roxio CD software etc all trying to load at startup and AVG 2011, which had a warning against it saying it needed to update.

On top of this the hard disk light is constantly flashing away (i assumed due to excess paging due to lack of memory) and its running like a pig.

So i gets out the USB drive and runs up Malwarebytes, possibly my first mistake, and starts off a quick scan which makes the machine even slower.

While that's going on i open up msconfig and look for anything awry, nothing really stood out, when i goggled processes i didn't know (via chrome that was working fine) they were all checking out. Either way i eventually clicked on disable all in order to get to the bottom of the IE issue and applied, eager for the "quick scan" to finish.

Coming up on 3 hours later.... :eek: It still wasn't done, it turns out the machine, which hadn't been rebuilt / formatted in years had been restored many times and there were loads of old accounts on the machine which had massive IE caches with thousands of files in then and countless directories slowing down the scan. I set about removing all the cache files to the recycle bin whilst pausing the scan in between the remove/delete cycle.

Seeing the apprehensive look on my clients faces as time ticked on and the fact it was getting later at night i decided that as the machine was on the net and that there was no real issue here preventing me doing remote support to installed showmypc, explained what i was going to do (i.e. fix it from office rather than sit around for x hours more waiting for the scan to complete).

They very kindly asked what i was due and i accepted what i thought was a fair fee for the time that i had already spent on the PC but no more as i didn't feel comfortable accepting any more without fixing it. Generously they offered me a little bit extra for my time and for "the petrol" given the distance they knew i had travelled for them.

Anyway - got back and tried to login to check the progress of the still ongoing scan via showmypc, no joy. It just wouldn't connect. Cue a frustrated nights sleep thinking im going to have to go back out there again (it was too late to phone them).

Fortunately, in the morning i spoke to the client who i talked through simply closing and opening showmypc again - this time i was in - Phew!

Malwarebytes had now finished after a stonking 7:30hr scan, finding 370 infections (isnt AVG great). So i click on select all and clean them off where it asks for a restart.

Back onto the phone to the customer to open showmypc again and eventually im back in. Still running like a pig, no evident processes using much of the CPU so its all disk polling.... hmmm.

So i log into control panel and thinking if there were so many infections AVG cant really be working right and its a bit of a hog on low memory systems so, i go to uninstall, click the button and nothing happens.

So back to chrome, download the AVG remover and run; eventually it asks to reboot the machine, (back on phone to customer, open showmypc etc) and it starts working MUCH better, much faster, everything responding quicker etc, more like a normal pc now.

So i goto Chrome to download MSE from Microsoft (much better IMO on low memory systems) and it wont let me, my searches for MSE specifically are getting redirected to some other site and if i go directly to Microsoft.com i get a blank page. Clearly there's still something up in Compton.

So i do a registry check and notice that under

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\Userinit

I have a trojan trying to load after the userinit.exe so the key looks like:-

=C:\windows\system32\userinit.exe,c:\windows\badprogram.exe

And sure enough, badprogram.exe was still in place and trying to delete it fails as its already running.

So in a moment of madness/tiredness/frustration i delete the key, the whole key, and restart.

If you dont know what i did wrong there then let me explain - you need to have the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\Userinit=C:\windows\system32\userinit.exe or you cant login, period, on ANY account, guest, administrator etc. instead of =C:\windows\system32\userinit.exe,c:\windows\badprogram.exe it should have just been =C:\windows\system32\userinit.exe but i deleted the whole thing.

Now there's no way i can login and i quickly realise what i've done. Given there is no way even from recovery to edit the registry i come to the realisation that im going to have to go back out there, boot disk in hand with a remote registry editior just to re-enter the key i deleted. ARGGGH!!

So off i go in the car, another 2 hour round trip.

When i get there i put in the boot CD (which i tested back in the office to be sure it was working) and wait, for half an hour, while the pc sllllllooooowwwlly boots up of the CD before i start to think, this isn't working, the CD drive is borked. So i open up the case and there's dirt everywhere, reseat the cables, blow any dust out of the cd drive and try again.

Mercifully, this time its a different beast and im in and running on my xp boot disk in around 15 mins, something must have been loose on the drive or there was dust on the lens.

I now reapply the key, restart and boot into the desktop.

From here, it was a simple case of installing IE8 (quickest way to fix IE) and installing MSE before running a quick scan (which detected the remnants of the trojan and removed it).

I then restarted and ran a full scan before heading off back to remote in later to finish the job after the full scan had completed.

However when i got back the scan had stalled halfway through at a file called C:\Windows\System32\Com\mtsadmin.tlb, turns out via google im not the only one with this issue (it only happen on a full scan) and the answer is to contact microsoft support, so im in the process of going through this with them now.

So what started out like a smallish job turned out to be an epic nightmare, although having to go back was my fault. :rolleyes:

Anyway - can you match or better this PC from hell?

Last edited:
H-m-m-m...Well, to start, I would have did things a little differently from you from the beginning.....-:)-:)

Not to either match or better your experience but the closest I came was a friend's old Gateway Desktop that had Windows XP that him and his wife were using to store their data. It was at least 10 years old and just slow, slow, slow. 20Gig hard drive, 256Ram, just doggone slow. There were multiple anti-virus programs on it, an old version of AOL , just an old beast. And it was huge and tall...lol It was the kind of computer that when you saw it, you didn't even want to work on it-:)

No such thing as a pc having the last laugh either....lol

I have a clear policy now. I am not wasting my time, I would frankly rather be on facebook or forums than sat in somebody elses house for hours on end.

If a virus job is going to take me more than 20 minutes to fix it comes away with me.

Done one tonight, I took the laptop away it was was trivial IE plugins causing a few issues but there is also evidence of fake AV messages from what she told me. I wasn't going to hang around so I took it home where I am doing a full scan.

To OP if you should really be using the technicians version of Malwarebtytes, it also comes with a handy tool which lets you delete locked files.

With this PC though I think I would have suggested an N&P, just pointless waiting seven hours for scans.

Maybe I have become a bit of an old anti social git but I much much prefer working off site, unless the job requires me to be onsite such as networking jobs or really easy fixes, or several little fixes on several machines. Don't get me wrong most my work is still onsite but I have the experience in knowing more less as soon as I walk through the door if I can do the job on site or if it needs to come back with me.

Last edited:
I can't compete but I recently had a computer that drove me insane.

Client called said he got a computer from someone that he wanted to use as a basic desktop. He got it for free off someone in his family. WinXP, 512MB RAM, 40GB HDD. He wanted to check it out and to do a reinstall on it (if needed) cause he had no idea what they did to it.

First boot, started just fine, desktop background is a picture of about 10 topless women. Neither the client nor myself knew what to expect after that.

Computer checks out just fine. Boots fast, runs great, nothing to complain about for a free system. Network card didn't work for some reason, but other than that everything was fine. I don't recommend a reinstall, they pay a simple diagnostics fee and try to get a monitor for it.

A week or two later they get a monitor and want a network card installed and a printer shared through their printer for their computers. I bring a "known good" NIC on-site to do the work. Take note that this has also been delayed 6 days due to the snow storms in the area.

When I get there, the computer is on and running fine. I turn it off and install the NIC I brought and turn the computer on. It won't boot. Gets past the BIOS and stops. I try the NIC in the other 2 slots and remove the modem it had and try it in that slot. Nothing works. I assume my "known good" NIC is somehow damaged and put everything back the way it was and turn the computer back on. It won't boot.

Process of elimination, because I was messing with and hitting cables, etc, I thought I may have knocked one loose or something. I basically unplug everything but the RAM and the Motherboard and I am hoping that the MOBO didn't die on me in front of a customer. I reseated the RAM, and no go. I put the RAM in the other slot, boots fine.

I tell the client I will come back with a different NIC tomorrow (in the interest of time, I had another appointment), but until then, use this USB WiFi Adapter.

Their router has a USB port, but does not support being a USB Print Server. I start the process of installing the printer on the machine, set Windows Updates going and set up a time to come back the next day.

Next day, I can't find my other NICs I had lying around and figured I will give them the WiFi adapter as it only cost $10 and I was going to make a couple hours on this job. I get back on site

"Since the updates, it has been running really slow."

what the hell.

I run process explorer and see a ton of hardware interrupts. Ok, hardware/driver is acting up now. Eventually I figure out the USB WiFi adapter I gave him was the cause of the problem. At this point I am discussing it with the client and came to the conclusion that this free computer is costing him too much money. It seemed that anytime you plugged anything new into the computer, it would freak out somehow.

As I didn't really fix anything, I just passed up on charging him anything. The whole time I was having issues with the computer, he was completely understanding and knew I didn't actually break the computer and that it was acting up on its own. He made a potentially very very awkward moment in front of a client go really well.

I have had that a couple of times when I have just written a job off as it becomes clear it is nobody's interest to proceed.

I remember one them was the replacing a video card. It was an AGP card, replaced it, still no picture on screen (the built in one works fine), so I tested the new AGP card at home, it dosn't work.

I returned it and bought a new one, still dosn't work, tested at home it dos't work, the motherboard was blowing the cards.

I didn't charge him anything (he is a tight git) and just recomended a new motherboard but didn't really encourage it.

I lost my time and an AGP card on that job but I think if I did replace the motherboard the hassle would have never stopped.

Well the thing is back to haunt me - i got an update from MS on how to resolve the MSE issue with the scan failing, so i followed the instructions which were basically (copied from email):-

Step 1 : Performing Disk cleanup.
Step 2 : Excluding archived folders.
Step 3: Excluding corrupted folder or files from scanning.

So even though i had already tried step 3 i tried the other two just for kicks and giggles, i dont think they will work but it helps progress the support call.

When i went to shut down the machine for a restart it started installing MS updates (now it can see MS again) and its stuck on installing update 5 of 11 on the "Do not turn off or unplug" XP shutdown screen as its installing patches. (I can still remote in to check as its not fully down yet)

Which means that IF i shut it down now (4hrs and counting) there is a chance it wont come back up.... Im tempted just to leave it overnight, i cant raise the client on their mobile anyway to button it.

I really don't want to go out there again... :mad:

This thing is cursed.

I have a clear policy now. I am not wasting my time, I would frankly rather be on facebook or forums than sat in somebody elses house for hours on end.

If a virus job is going to take me more than 20 minutes to fix it comes away with me.

Done one tonight, I took the laptop away it was was trivial IE plugins causing a few issues but there is also evidence of fake AV messages from what she told me. I wasn't going to hang around so I took it home where I am doing a full scan.

To OP if you should really be using the technicians version of Malwarebtytes, it also comes with a handy tool which lets you delete locked files.

Thanks for the advice, like i said though i did this as a one off as its a friend of a good client, normally i'd probably pass due to the distance.

I didn't fancy going out there more than once and it seemed like a remote fix was no issue.

Back