SysPrep Error - The Subsystem needed to support the image type is not present

allanc

Reaction score
This is my first attempt at 'SysPrep'.
I am getting an error 'The Subsystem needed to support the image type is not present' when I try the imagex command.
I have been following the instructions very carefully (or, at least I thought that I did) in the PDF 'Deploy a Windows 7 Build on Multiple PCs'.

I have installed the WAIK 3.0 on a Windows 7 Professional Service Pack 1 64-bit machine.
There is no recovery partition on this computer.
I assume that it is the correct WAIK because the documentation specifically mentioned Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2.

I created the WinPE DVD using the instructions for the 64-bit version of Windows (again according to the PDF mentioned above).

Let me mention that the steps above were performed on a Dell Studio XPS notebook with Intel Centrino 2.

At this point I switch over to a HP Pavilion with an AMD 64 CPU.
This is going to be the 'reference computer' on which I run SysPrep.
In any case, it is also Windows 7 Professional Service Pack 1 with updated MS Security Updates and some basic software.

Logged-in as Administrator, I stop and disable the Windows Media Player Network Sharing Service.

I use Windows Explore to navigate to c:\windows\System32\SysPrep and double click on SysPre.exe.
I select 'Enter System Out-Of-Box Experience (OOBE), enable 'Generalize' and 'Shutdown'.
There are no error messages.
Next, I boot off the WinPe DVD and (again according to the instructions in the PDF mentioned above) type imagex /capture c: j:\image.wim "Windows 7" /compress fast /verify.
The error message 'The Subsystem needed to support the image type is not present' occurs immediately.

I have researched this message and it seems to indicate that there is a mismatch between the operating system that was used to generate the WinPe and the reference computer.
However, they are both Windows 7 Pro SP1.
All assistance is appreciated.

You don't need the winPE here. you can use any imaging software that you have.

I have only really done it for one client and that was because he has some software he wanted installed on all his new machines.

once sysprep had ran, I removed the hard drive and slaved it to my Pc, where I ran Acronis on it to image the full drive. after that I would attach a blank hard drive and out this image on it before putting it onto the case.

you could try some of the open source imaging lice cd's as there are some tutorials on here somewhere

You don't need the winPE here. you can use any imaging software that you have.

I have only really done it for one client and that was because he has some software he wanted installed on all his new machines.

once sysprep had ran, I removed the hard drive and slaved it to my Pc, where I ran Acronis on it to image the full drive. after that I would attach a blank hard drive and out this image on it before putting it onto the case.

you could try some of the open source imaging lice cd's as there are some tutorials on here somewhere
Again I am a beginner at SysPrep
If you are going to use Acronis why use SysPrep at all?
IOW - why not just back with Acronis and do a bare metal restore?

Again I am a beginner at SysPrep
If you are going to use Acronis why use SysPrep at all?
IOW - why not just back with Acronis and do a bare metal restore?

The reason to use sysprep is to remove user and license information and to prep the unit for attachment to an AD service. Without running it you'll have confusion if you try to attach to AD server.

Sysprep can also be setup to run the Out of Box Experience OOBE. If you have a common image you use for a set make and model of machine you manufacture then sysprep is required to be run to prep the machine for a proper OEM setup.

The reason to use sysprep is to remove user and license information and to prep the unit for attachment to an AD service. Without running it you'll have confusion if you try to attach to AD server.

Sysprep can also be setup to run the Out of Box Experience OOBE. If you have a common image you use for a set make and model of machine you manufacture then sysprep is required to be run to prep the machine for a proper OEM setup.
OK. I think I understand now.
We have not done builds in probably about 20 years.
We buy Lenovos with Windows preinstalled.
So, in our scenario, we should image the 'reference computer' and do a bare-metals restore to dissimilar hardware using ShadowProtect, correct?
I thought that I read here on TN that some techs were using SysPrep even when Windows was preinstalled but I may have been mistaken.

Using Sysprep on preinstalled systems is common. If for example you need to deploy dozens of identical workstations each with a in house LOB preloaded on the system you would prepare one unit, install all the software you need on it, run sysprep and then image.

I suppose that it could be done the same for variable hardware so long as your imaging software supports a bare metal image or you can run Paragon's tool that injects drivers into a drive.

I really WISH I could find someone locally to help me understand (read: train) how all of this works. I read and re-read and re-read all of this stuff but when I go to try and do it (when I have the time, that is) I can't seem to "really" wrap my mind around it.

Until that happens (if ever) I'll continue to read thru these and many other amazing help forums. Thanks to one and all for all that that you(s) do for the community! :) :cool: ;)

Using Sysprep on preinstalled systems is common. If for example you need to deploy dozens of identical workstations each with a in house LOB preloaded on the system you would prepare one unit, install all the software you need on it, run sysprep and then image.

I suppose that it could be done the same for variable hardware so long as your imaging software supports a bare metal image or you can run Paragon's tool that injects drivers into a drive.
To my knowledge, StorageCraft offers the bare metal restore.
In my scenario, I am working with a small number of computers (1-4) per client, no AD or servers.
I am finding that I am spending several elapsed hours preparing the computer inhouse before it is delivered and then I need to migrate the data.
I think that a bare metals restore of a 20 Gb patched and tweaked image would cut that inhouse work down considerably.
I have read threads here at TN where techs are either using a VM or restoring a reference image to update with patches, etc. and then generating another image ready to restore.
I thought for some reason that SysPrep was faster and/or had a higher success rate or there was another reason to use it than a bare metals restore under my circumstances.

It will not make anything faster but it will give you a true generic system one that isn't registered to a fake end user or is named. Sysprep removes all of that so it is EXACTLY what you need for your scenario.

It will not make anything faster but it will give you a true generic system one that isn't registered to a fake end user or is named. Sysprep removes all of that so it is EXACTLY what you need for your scenario.
Fair enough - I appreciate your advice.
Which brings me back to the start of the thread and the error that I am receiving during the ImageX.;)
Or, are you suggesting that I use ShadowProtect to backup and restore the image that is set-up by SysPrep?

I've never had any luck with imageX. Any imaging product will do and with your need for bare metal restores ShadowProtect is one of the few options out there.

Back to the OP, I believe you are getting that error because you tried to run the 32 bit version of imagex on the 64bit WinPE. You get that error because the 64bit WinPE does not have the 32 bit subsystem (WOW64).

I would just build a 32 bit PE and be done with it. That way you can run any 32 bit app you would like to include.

Back to the OP, I believe you are getting that error because you tried to run the 32 bit version of imagex on the 64bit WinPE. You get that error because the 64bit WinPE does not have the 32 bit subsystem (WOW64).

I would just build a 32 bit PE and be done with it. That way you can run any 32 bit app you would like to include.
I will try your suggestion.
Thank you.

Back