Solution for OutLook 2010 error (0x800CCC0F) & Question

Mr.Mike

Reaction score
In MS Outlook 2010, the program was set up to access the clients yahoo mail account through an AT&T DSL. All fields were set correctly POP3, SMTP, ssl checked, ports set, etc. but still no joy. Contacted AT&T Internet support to verify all settings were good. Yup, good to go. But still had send issues. :(

I finally googled for the solution and found something on TechNet. The solution was actually intended to be for Windows Vista having the same error problem for a different reason (?). Here it is:

1. Run cmd.exe as Administrator. (Start--type cmd--right click-- Run as admin.)
2. Type: netsh interface tcp set global autotuning=disabled and hit enter.
3.Test the POP account in Outlook 2010 settings window.

Worked like a charm. Like this told the program not to hold up access to the server :confused:.

QUESTION: Would anyone here with a bit more experience and a good DOS command understanding tell me how this fixed the problem?

Hope this helps someone in the same boat sometime. ;)

That's really strange...

I've seen that DOS command used for fixing slow browsing/internet issues in Vista, but not to repair Outlook problems.

I suspect that computers TCP stack was messed up...I've seen when MTU settings are really wonky...outbound SMTP can have issues. This computer probably had it's settings all scrambled up, misbehaving TCP stack.

For some brief reading on auto tuning of Windows 7,
http://www.speedguide.net/articles/windows-7-vista-2008-tweaks-2574

Back in the pre-Vista days...we'd use our SG TCP Optimizer to adjust RWIN and MTU.
http://www.speedguide.net/downloads.php

YeOldeStonecat: Thank you for the links above. FYI, the machine was a brand-new Toshiba Satellite (quad core i-7, Win 7, 6Gb RAM). I had performed an easy transfer on it from a crappy Dell Inspiron 1521 with Vista.

What are some reasons that the TCP stack and the MTU settings would be so screwed up?

What are some reasons that the TCP stack and the MTU settings would be so screwed up?

Good question. Although Toshi laptops frequently use Atheros wireless chipsets and good gawd I hate hate hate Atheros products with a passion...have had more problems with them. But not MTU related problems. Dunno.

Somewhere on a forum (I think it was here) someone posted about a new HP model that had MTU incorrectly set from the factory to some really weird low value..and I think it's problem was also outbound e-mail issues. They reset the TCP stack to default and fixed the issue.

Back