Should I buy ifixit tools, or is there something better out there?

AndrewH

Reaction score
I see that ifixit has some deals on some tools on their website, and I am considering buying them. I see alot of mixed reviews on their quality and pricing though. Is there something better out there I am not aware of?

I have the 54 bit kit and it has worked great for me. I have replaced the #1 phillips tip, but I use it 99% of the time so no biggie to me. I really like the kit, works well for me.

I have found that iFixit stuff is really high quality for the most part. With any tool, remember that you are buying it to use it, and it has a limited lifespan and is intended for a specific task (i.e. a screw driver is not a pry tool).

I have a two ifixit tool kits, and they are great, tons of bits that do fit snugly into the fasteners.

However, to be fair, I must say that the chrome finish has chipped off of a few of my most used Phillips bits, and that allows rust to form on them if I don't keep them wiped down with light oil.

Are they any higher quality than say, the same type/size of tool kits that Home Depot/Lowes, or Sears sells? Not sure, but if I had to purchase a set from new I might look at the price & consider one of the latter mentioned tool kits...

Last edited:
I'd say for 95% of the jobs I do, the only tools I need are a no-name brand mini screwdriver kit, and a plastic scribe (the one that Dell sends you for free when you buy a replacement keyboard). I have considered buying an iFixit kit on several occasions, but then I think back and can never remember a time when I really needed it... I suppose I would spring for one if i were doing more phone/tablet repairs though.

I'm kind of a screwdriver snob, I guess. I never liked the single-handle-interchangable-bits idea. I have some really nice screwdrivers from Felo and Wiha. Wera-Kraftform makes some good ones as well, although I don't have any (Santa, are you listening?). I also have a nice Phillips #000 with an 8" shaft and a meaty handle. It's the sole survivor of an old Radio Shack set I had in the 80's - still works great.

I personally think that they are over priced. I'm actually using a multi head toolkit that I purchased from ebay for less then £10.
I've been trying to get hold of just the iFixit Messenger Bag Pro but it looks like its always out of stock in Europe. Trying to downsize from my current toolkit bag.

s-l1600.jpg

I personally think that they are over priced. I'm actually using a multi head toolkit that I purchased from ebay for less then £10.
I've been trying to get hold of just the iFixit Messenger Bag Pro but it looks like its always out of stock in Europe. Trying to downsize from my current toolkit bag.
One of my co-workers got I that exact same kit from Home Depot. It turned out to be pretty crappy with the bits wearing away very quickly. I got both the ifixit kits (the 54 and new 64 bit kit) and the 64 bit one is way better. The 54 bit one wasn't shabby either, but I didn't like the handle much, as I kept having annoying issues with it like the spinning cap falling off, and the rubber grips just spinning on the handle making them pointless.

That said, for the most common stuff, I bought Wiha and Wera stand-alone screwdrivers. The multi bit sets don't always fit into the crevasses you'll find, and its generally just easier to grab a regular screwdriver and open a laptop. I wouldn't go without a multi-bit kit due to its universality, but I wouldn't make it my every day tool for the common stuff. I haven't tried iFixit's normal screwdrivers, but I imagine they're decent, but not as good as Wiha or Wera.

I own the 54-bit Pro Toolkit, iOpener kit, and a Jimmy. They are all really great quality and it's rare that I ever need another tool. The Jimmy is especially helpful when opening tightly fastened laptops, AIOs, and phones, and I don't even know how I survived without it.

I got pretty much the same kit, and I really like it, except the phillips #00 tip will break (I've bought two of the kits and it happened on both). So I bought the individual Philips #00 from iFixit, the Pro version, but it actually doesn't fit nicely into #00 screws.

Don't forget, the iFixit tools also come with a lifetime warranty. My experience has been they're very good when it comes to honoring that.
This is true I'm my experience also. Both the issues I had with the handle from the 54 bit driver set, which I mentioned above, we're resolved with a single email to ifixit where the same day they had a new one on its way to me. Ifixit customer service is top notch.

Follow up on my initial post (#4).

In addition to what I posted, which is that I have two of their sets and generally like them overall, one issue is with these interchangeable bit-type sets, ifixit or any others - which is that, due to the design of the interchangeable bits & the holder, they will not fit into deeper holes on some laptops to reach those screws that are deeply recessed into the case.

I find this to be a major drawback for these types of kits. I will probably purchase a multi-screwdriver set with long shanks at some point in the future & ditch the interchangeable ones.

Follow up on my initial post (#4).

In addition to what I posted, which is that I have two of their sets and generally like them overall, one issue is with these interchangeable bit-type sets, ifixit or any others - which is that, due to the design of the interchangeable bits & the holder, they will not fit into deeper holes on some laptops to reach those screws that are deeply recessed into the case.

I find this to be a major drawback for these types of kits. I will probably purchase a multi-screwdriver set with long shanks at some point in the future & ditch the interchangeable ones.

I agree, I've tried both ways and while the multi-bit sets always appealed to me from an organizational standpoint (one container with everything I'll ever need!) it never worked out as well as separate drivers in practice. I had some problems with the added bulk as you were saying, but mostly it was just a hassle swapping out the bits rather than just grabbing a different tool entirely.

We mainly use Wiha tools in our shop and while they're expensive they're also very precisely cut and durable. The Precision line has just about everything we need and my set has held up very well over the last two years that I've been using them.

The Mrs. got me this for Christmas - http://www.lowes.com/pd_69826-16878-62492___?Ntt=0069826&UserSearch=0069826&productId=4176915

It is a small set and it carries a lifetime replacement guarantee (Lowes Hardware, USA). Kobalt is the brand and is a pretty good brand. I haven't used this yet as I have another set of small screwdrivers bits / handle in my toolkit.

EDIT* I just opened the package and thought I'd let everyone know, each bit is double-ended and when the unit is in its' storage position the handle falls out very easily. Other than this, it looks like a nice (small) kit.

Last edited:
I have been wondering about the ifixit tools as well. I still have my tools for pc repair I bought in the early 90s but they aren't small enough for tablets and phone repair. I bought some ebay kits in the past and have regretted it every time. Bits that don't fit or that strip out on the first screw.....
I have found the WIHA 92191 precision driver tool tray set for $185. Rather pay once and keep for decades rather than another set every few months.

Back