Do any of you use Dynadot.com as domain registrar? What is your experience with them?

Peperonix

Reaction score
When selecting a registrar, I pay attention to several factors, among which:
  • For which "owner" is the domain really registered : me or the registrar/hosting.
  • Which is the registrar reputation.
  • Does the price not rise abruptly after 1st year.
  • Do prices remain fairly stable over time? (i.e. after several years)
  • What is the price of services (e.g. domain transfer, change of ownership, restoration, ...)
  • Which are the payment methods.
  • How does the registrar protect my privacy. (Whois info + Registrar's Privacy Terms)
  • What are the terms and conditions.
  • How easy is the interface.
  • Does the registrar send you reminders per email before your domain expires.
  • How well does the interface list your past orders when you are doing your bookkeeping.
  • a.s.o.
I have experience of three registrars, which all are decent to good ones.

One of my registrars tends to increase its prices, especially for my ".com" domains.
When the registry (Verisign) increases its prices, so do my registrar prices.
But when the dollar weakens (as compared to my currency), the prices for ".com" remains surprisingly stables in my currency ...

Although most prices are still decent (renewal of .com is ~16$), price in case of restoration is huge, around 125$.
I know that I can book several years in advance, but the risk of forgetting to renew your domain remains a reality.
And this registar applies the restoration price from day one after if are late, exactly like if we were in the redemption period.

I am aware of Namechip, Porkbun, Google domains and many others. For some reason, I didn't keep them.

Today, I come across Dynadot.com.
The pricing seems flat and fair :
TLDRegisterRenewTransferPrivacyRenewDeleteIDN
(for 1 year)(for 1 year)(for 1 year)Grace periodGrace period
.com10.99 $10.99 $10.99 $Yes405Yes

But what about restoration?

In the grace expiration period, which is typically 40 days, the renewal fee is apparently 10$.
However, in the redemption period, the pricing is likely much higher, and Dynadot is not transparent about it:
This paragraph is confusing:
A domain restore should not be confused with a backordering service. A domain restore is for domains that have been registered by Dynadot, but were deleted after the renewal grace period since the owner did not renew the domain. This is only for our customers who wish to restore a domain they had registered with us, but forgot to renew the domain after it expired.
Source: https://www.dynadot.com/community/help/question/what-is-a-restore

They tell about customers who registered with them.
But not about customers who transfered their domains to them ; which prices are really applied in such a case in not clear.

Also, Dynadot is also offers an aftermarket, and I must admit this kind of domain trading scares me somewhat in caseI had to forget renewing a domain in time.

As I don't plan trading domain name, I am considering Dynadot simply as a possible registrar for a few ".com" domains.

Does one of you have experience with Dynadot as registrar for one or several active website(s)?
(I mean not for parking nor trading domains names.)

Yes, I use Dynadot for all my active and non-active domains. Never needed to revive an expired domain because I always put the renewal date in my calendar and Dynadot send you reminders anyway. Though if you're worried about domains expiring, why don't you just put them on annual autorenew?

Thank you.
Can you tell about for how long are you using Dynadot?
Have you some current or past experience of other registrars and are there things that you especially like or dislike by Dynadot?
Is the interface comfortable to use?

In answer to your question, because some registrars can increase prices abruptly, and also personal preference, I prefer letting "autorenew" off.
I appreciate having experience of several registrars as well, so that if one goes bad or increases its prices too much, I know where to go.
It is better to experience registrars and hostings in quiet times, than in crisis times.

Been with Dynadot for 18 months after moving from 123reg who constantly increased prices.
I chose Dynadot after seeing good reviews plus they're a better deal and I prefer their interface.
If any registrar messes with prices it's easy to switch.

As an aside, I've been with Namecheap for many years now, and there have been no nasty, unnanounced or announced, price increases. They've also been pleasant to deal with on the few occasions I needed to consult with support.

Back