Do any of you sell/auction domain names? I got stuck with a lot of auto-renewals..

tankman1989

Reaction score
I have a bunch of domain names that I need to do something with. I had turned off auto renew on a bunch of domain names but the domain admin was "locked" so they were renewed.

I either need to build some web content to help sell some of these domains or sell them at auction. You don't want to know how many I got stuck with.

Does anyone have a problem with this and 1and1 hosting? Turning off Autorenew but it still renewing?

I got all these domains for .99 for the first year and then BAM they hit you with the "renewal" charge. I need a scheme like this to make some $$$:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Edit:
Would setting up Joomla or Wordpress on these and putting domain-related subject matter on it make them saleable?

Any suggestions are appreciated and you will be praised if you come up with a good idea.:eek:

Last edited:
Suggest setting up wordpress, customising it with a decent free theme and some relevant images (make sure of the copyright!), write 10 keyword related but well written posts to help with SEO and then sell them when their getting some traffic. OR, if you can get them to rank for some reasonable keywords, put adsense on them and continue to add 1 decent article per month to try keeping your rank.

You can try sedo.com, but they will probably be hard to move without some pagerank attached to them.

Best of luck

Thanks for the suggestions guys! I am so p'd off at this as all the domains had the auto renew unhighlighted and now I'm stuck with 40+ domains (It sounded good when they were $.99 each).

Thanks for the suggestions guys! I am so p'd off at this as all the domains had the auto renew unhighlighted and now I'm stuck with 40+ domains (It sounded good when they were $.99 each).

I went through all mine a few months ago admittedly I got an email telling me they were up for renewal. Didn't you get that?

I went through all mine a few months ago admittedly I got an email telling me they were up for renewal. Didn't you get that?

Yeah but it is only for External domains, the ones I have registered on a non-renewing company. I figured out that when you select more than one domain in the 1and1 Domain menu it automatically blanks out the auto-renewal and I thought that meant it was turned off but no - you have to go through one by one, you can't select them all and say "turn off auto renewal". If you select them all it will look like the auto renew is already turned off. Follow me?

That's one of the many reasons I don't like 1and1.

Monetize them. Use Sedo for parking and sales. Check out www.smartpassiveincome.com/ for some other ideas for monetization.

List them for sale at a domainer forum like www.dnforum.com (paid membership is required to do a lot here) or in the domains for sale section at webhostingtalk.

PM me a list and I'll see if I know anybody looking for any of the domains.

That's one of the many reasons I don't like 1and1.

Monetize them. Use Sedo for parking and sales. Check out www.smartpassiveincome.com/ for some other ideas for monetization.

List them for sale at a domainer forum like www.dnforum.com (paid membership is required to do a lot here) or in the domains for sale section at webhostingtalk.

PM me a list and I'll see if I know anybody looking for any of the domains.

To be "fair" to 1and1 this was part my fault but the way they have the display setup it makes it look like domains that are auto-renewed are deselescted when you select more than one domain because you can only toggle one domain at a time - so if you select 2+ domains that you don't want to renew they will look like they are already set for non-renewal. I'd say this is deceptive at the least.

Their response was "you can cancel your account if you would like to". I think they are upset because I have a good plan that is 4+ years old that would cost 4x what it does now.

I tried 1and1 out when they first entered the US market. I wasn't impressed. Their interface was confusing and the sites were not easy to transfer anywhere because they did not use Cpanel or Plesk.

I don't know if that has changed, but I standardized on BlueWho.com for Cpanel reseller hosting and eNom.com for most domain registrations. eNom may not be the cheapest, but I am comfortable with their system and all of the major players in the domain aftermarket support enom within their interfaces.

I want to transfer to a new service especially since 1and1 seems to have downgraded my PHP version to 4.4.9 from 5.2.x for some reason. This makes Wordpress unable to be used. What the heck would this be done for?!

I've seen domains sell on ebay. Even if you get 0.99 for them then you get your money back.

Lol, yeah if they renewed for the same price as they originally sold for but they are 10-20x the original sale price - that is why it was such a big deal 40 domains @ $10-$20 each. Thanks for the idea though, I might try listing them there but I don't know if the auction will cost at least $1 to list it in the first place.

Ah i see - that old dilemma.

Even if you have a couple decent domains they may sell for $20+ as ebay gives them high exposure.

Might be able to recoupe something

Back