Well I WILL BE DAMNED! Look what I got to work on today (Story time!)

thecomputerguy

Reaction score
Client calls me because he has a SUPER old computer from when he bought a DYNO from a shop going out of business that hasn't been working for months.

If you aren't sure what a DYNO is it's basically a massive system where you roll a car up onto some extremely large metal wheels and you can use it to test the horsepower and torque of the vehicle. See picture below.

dyno.png

They bought it for who knows how much ... probably $50k.

They say the system is just dead.

I get out there and take one look at the computer running the DYNO and immediately want to nope my way outta there. I see serial ports, parallel ports, ISA slots ... but I decide to give it a chance. Computer powers for a couple of seconds and then shuts off, immediately I'm thinking motherboard but go ahead and test the PSU. Same result.

They tell me the person who they bought it from told them yeah the system works just make sure not the turn the computer off... LOL ok.

So I tell him that most likely it is a motherboard and because of the age of the system I'd probably quote $1500-$2000 and several weeks for turnaround, with no guarantee that I'd be able to fix it, but they'd need to guarantee I'd get paid regardless.

They sat on it for a few weeks and called me and said they wanted to give it a shot because they are looking at a hell of a lot more in replacing the whole system. They just want it functional enough to be able to sell it. Reluctantly I go and pick it up figured I'd probably just be wasting a bunch of time but as long as I was getting paid, whatever.

Bring it to my shop and plug it in, fires up for a couple seconds and shuts off. I start trying to source the motherboard online which is a: SY-P41845peisa

As expected it's pretty much unavailable, there are some "direct replacements" but who knows. Prices ranging from $350 to $1000 for the part, and then even if the motherboard somehow works, who knows what else is broken.

I'm about ready to give up on it for the day since I have a few weeks to mess with it and think, well lets give this the old fashioned troubleshoot EY?

Yank all cards including 1xAGP 1xPCI and 3xISA and swap the PSU for good measure.

I fire it up and what to you know, it stays on and gives me 3 beeps! I assume the beeps are because of the GPU because this board has no onboard GPU, and what do you know, who has a brand new AGP video card they bought 8 years ago that just been sitting in my bin? THIS GUY.

I pop in the AGP GPU and what to you know, the thing POSTS! I plug all the cards in one at a time making sure it POSTS after each card, and it does! I plug my IDE 40GB HD back in and fire the beast up.

It BOOTS!

What a throwback! Been awhile since I got to work on a computer with ISA slots, or troubleshoot a computer successfully at a component level that didn't end up being a motherboard!

And that's how you make $1500 on a video card swap, we'll I'll probably swap the PSU too since the fan is grinding away.

ide.jpg

20200311_144311.jpg

I saw the car on the dyno which brought back my day. I was in an auto restoration shop to work on their network today. Sitting on the garage floor was a Ferrari Testarossa, two Panterras, a couple Vipers and a 1960s Shelby GT and a 1963 split window Corvette. All pristine. I would have almost done the work for free just for the walk-through. - heh.

I'm absolutely dismayed at the way you decided to handle the job. What you did is akin to a plumber using duct tape on a busted pipe and calling it good. Not only is the computer itself ancient, but the caps on the board are very clearly bulging/leaking. If the thing lasts more than a week I'll be amazed. There are many ways to go about fixing this problem, but this is what I would have done:

1. Research the software that's used to control the machine. Is there an updated version available? If so, then pull a refurb from my shelf, install the software, and use whatever cards/adapters to give me serial or whatever connections I need.

A. If this works, then sell them a refurb or build a new system and set it all up for them.

B. If the software is unavailable or if I run into problems with getting the right connections, then proceed to step 2.

2. Okay, so there's no way to install the old software. This isn't surprising but I thought I'd check anyway. Next step is to image the drive and put it onto an SSD. Then, using the original computer, upgrade it to Windows 7 and then upgrade it to Windows 10. Yes, the drivers will be crap but the reason why you're doing this is so that you can move the drive to another computer and it will boot properly. Alternatively you can use software that can move Windows to dissimilar hardware, but I typically only use this as a last resort because there are just too many unknowns.

A. If this works, then again, sell them a new computer and set it up with the new cards/adapters.

B. If the new cards/adapters won't work for whatever reason or I can't upgrade to Windows 10, then proceed to step 3.

3. Shoot. There's no way to get them into a newer computer. Windows 10 just won't upgrade, the software doesn't work under Windows 10, the cards/adapters won't work...whatever the reason is, we need to stick to period-specific hardware. Not the end of the world here. Go on eBay and build a new old stock computer. Choose a motherboard that will fit the same processor and build it. Hopefully Windows XP will handle the change without having to do anything. If you get a BSOD, then use software to move an image to dissimilar hardware. Buy an extra motherboard for good measure. Also try to replace those aging cards with something newer and buy a few spares of those too.

I've done this song and dance more times than I can count and it's very rare that I have to resort to step 3. You'd be amazed what will run under Windows 10 32 bit. You'd be working with an image so if anything went wrong software wise you'd be fine. There's no way in hell I would have sent the computer back with bulging/leaking caps on the motherboard. You're just begging for a bad review and/or a charge back. You touch it, you own it. That's how it works in this business. Anything that goes wrong with that computer from now on is YOUR fault in the client's eyes.

It's hard to say how much I would've charged to do something like this. It depends on how deep I had to go. If I had to do everything all the way up to step 3 then it would've likely exceeded $5,000 including parts and labor, but they would have a computer that's going to last. Even if they're just going to sell it, the person that buys it is NOT going to be happy when the computer dies a week later. It's probably going to bite the sellers (and you) in the butt.

If I only had to go to step 1, it would have likely cost about as much as you charged them but they'd have a new computer instead of a old piece of sh*t that's barely hanging on by a thread.

with no guarantee that I'd be able to fix it, but they'd need to guarantee I'd get paid regardless.

Unbelievable. I would NEVER say that to a client! Either take the job and do it right or don't touch the damned thing and leave it to someone that knows what they're doing. I'm 100% positive I would be able to get them running properly with a new computer that would actually last them. If you couldn't do this then you shouldn't have taken the job.

I work on vintage computers all the freaking time. About 80% of the vintage computers I get in are majorly f*cked up because another technician that didn't know what they were doing messed with it. Repairing vintage computers is VERY different than modern computers. Even if you remember working on the technology when it was new, it's a totally different animal trying to get old and new tech to talk to each other. I've gotten quite the reputation for being the "go to" guy for your vintage computer needs. I get tons of retro gamers coming in looking to buy/build a system to play old 90's and early 2,000's games. Those are always fun. But the majority of my vintage computer business is dealing with computers like this that actually serve a purpose and have died after all these years.

I got in an old 286 in a few weeks ago that ran an MS-DOS based database program that was custom designed back in 1991. I got everything working in Windows 10 for them and got them off that old hardware. They gave me the 286 for free and now I can sell it to someone that actually needs the old physical hardware.

I'm absolutely dismayed at the way you decided to handle the job. What you did is akin to a plumber using duct tape on a busted pipe and calling it good. Not only is the computer itself ancient, but the caps on the board are very clearly bulging/leaking. If the thing lasts more than a week I'll be amazed. There are many ways to go about fixing this problem, but this is what I would have done:

1. Research the software that's used to control the machine. Is there an updated version available? If so, then pull a refurb from my shelf, install the software, and use whatever cards/adapters to give me serial or whatever connections I need.

A. If this works, then sell them a refurb or build a new system and set it all up for them.

B. If the software is unavailable or if I run into problems with getting the right connections, then proceed to step 2.

2. Okay, so there's no way to install the old software. This isn't surprising but I thought I'd check anyway. Next step is to image the drive and put it onto an SSD. Then, using the original computer, upgrade it to Windows 7 and then upgrade it to Windows 10. Yes, the drivers will be crap but the reason why you're doing this is so that you can move the drive to another computer and it will boot properly. Alternatively you can use software that can move Windows to dissimilar hardware, but I typically only use this as a last resort because there are just too many unknowns.

A. If this works, then again, sell them a new computer and set it up with the new cards/adapters.

B. If the new cards/adapters won't work for whatever reason or I can't upgrade to Windows 10, then proceed to step 3.

3. Shoot. There's no way to get them into a newer computer. Windows 10 just won't upgrade, the software doesn't work under Windows 10, the cards/adapters won't work...whatever the reason is, we need to stick to period-specific hardware. Not the end of the world here. Go on eBay and build a new old stock computer. Choose a motherboard that will fit the same processor and build it. Hopefully Windows XP will handle the change without having to do anything. If you get a BSOD, then use software to move an image to dissimilar hardware. Buy an extra motherboard for good measure. Also try to replace those aging cards with something newer and buy a few spares of those too.

I've done this song and dance more times than I can count and it's very rare that I have to resort to step 3. You'd be amazed what will run under Windows 10 32 bit. You'd be working with an image so if anything went wrong software wise you'd be fine. There's no way in hell I would have sent the computer back with bulging/leaking caps on the motherboard. You're just begging for a bad review and/or a charge back. You touch it, you own it. That's how it works in this business. Anything that goes wrong with that computer from now on is YOUR fault in the client's eyes.

It's hard to say how much I would've charged to do something like this. It depends on how deep I had to go. If I had to do everything all the way up to step 3 then it would've likely exceeded $5,000 including parts and labor, but they would have a computer that's going to last. Even if they're just going to sell it, the person that buys it is NOT going to be happy when the computer dies a week later. It's probably going to bite the sellers (and you) in the butt.

If I only had to go to step 1, it would have likely cost about as much as you charged them but they'd have a new computer instead of a old piece of sh*t that's barely hanging on by a thread.

Unbelievable. I would NEVER say that to a client! Either take the job and do it right or don't touch the damned thing and leave it to someone that knows what they're doing. I'm 100% positive I would be able to get them running properly with a new computer that would actually last them. If you couldn't do this then you shouldn't have taken the job.

I work on vintage computers all the freaking time. About 80% of the vintage computers I get in are majorly f*cked up because another technician that didn't know what they were doing messed with it. Repairing vintage computers is VERY different than modern computers. Even if you remember working on the technology when it was new, it's a totally different animal trying to get old and new tech to talk to each other. I've gotten quite the reputation for being the "go to" guy for your vintage computer needs. I get tons of retro gamers coming in looking to buy/build a system to play old 90's and early 2,000's games. Those are always fun. But the majority of my vintage computer business is dealing with computers like this that actually serve a purpose and have died after all these years.

I got in an old 286 in a few weeks ago that ran an MS-DOS based database program that was custom designed back in 1991. I got everything working in Windows 10 for them and got them off that old hardware. They gave me the 286 for free and now I can sell it to someone that actually needs the old physical hardware.
depositphotos_45889917-stock-photo-man-playing-trumpet.jpg

Is this a satire piece or something? I'm not sure if this is sarcasm or you are actually serious.

1. Research the software? What software? a non existent company from 20+ years ago? They contacted the vendor, or the vendor that bought that vendor or the vendor that bought the vendors vendor, and they told them to buy a new DYNO. Also, you keep refurbs with ISA slots in your garage? Good for you, sorry for you. I thought the fact that I had a brand new AGP GPU in stock was pretty rad.

A. No

B. Software unavailable? LOL ... right connections? ISA? LOL

2. Image drive onto an SSD? Image an IDE drive that is most likely dead onto an SSD with a mobo that has no SATA ports? OK bro. Upgrade to Windows 7? You serious? Even after I clearly stated that I was 100% willing to walk away from this? Upgrade it to 10? I am in no way shape or form putting this piece of garbage through that stress. Drivers? For real? I was just shocked that Windows XP picked up my GeForce whatever series card I put into it to POST. Unknowns? Yeah your right I'm not about to attempt anything beyond basic troubleshooting into an unknown pit of despair.

A. New computer? No software, no drivers. Cards/Adapters ... HELLO PROPRIETARY ISA hardware.

B. No

3. Period specific hardware? No thanks I'll stick to stuff that actually makes me money for my time invested. Hopefully Windows XP will handle the change? You can't actually be serious here, BSOD GUARANTEED. Move image to dissimilar hardware? I sure as **** not going to sector clone a 20 year old drive that is probably on it's deathbed. No I will not stock Mobos with ISA slots on them that I can't test, so I might as well just buy DOA mobos. I've been in business for 16 years an the last time I needed something with an ISA slot on it was what? 14 years ago?

Very rare that you have had to resort to step 3? Really? With a 20+ year old computer that has never been connected to the internet running Windows XP you rarely have had to resort to step 3?

Are the caps leaking? Yes they are. Do I care? Nope, the system boots and is ready for sale with the DYNO and will no longer be my problem or the clients problem after sale, just like they bought it. They knew they were buying an old POS and these guys know they are selling and old POS. Do I care about reviews on Yelp? Nope. All my business is word of mouth.

The person that buys this POS system knows they are buying a POS system or they would shell out the money to buy a new DYNO. You get what you pay for. Do I care what the person thinks about what they bought without doing their due diligence? Nope, take a look, bring a tech, it runs XP, opt out brothers.

Am I willing to drop a potential of HOURS and HOURS into a job with no expectation of payment on a system that is a complete gamble on both ends of the transaction? Nope, I just got lucky that it was only a GPU. It could have been GPU, RAM, MOBO, any one of the ISA cards, bad CPU who the hell knows. I do know what I am doing which is why the system is now fully functional, and ready for sale.

If I told them it would be $5k+ to get it operational so they could sell it, because regardless of the outcome, this system WILL be sold, the job wouldn't have happened because they no longer want it. They were burned on an old DYNO they want a new one. They don't want a new computer they want it made ready for sale, and to be honest we both want this thing out of our lives.

You work on old vintage computers? I'm sorry, that's a tough time/cost ratio to take on since most people are cheap as hell and they run their businesses off $400 garbage PC's.

I do remember working on PC's like this which is why this one is now functioning after proper troubleshooting. I can't imagine the amount of time I'd waste on garbage for being the "go to" guy for vintage PC's when I can spend that time setting up clients on Office 365 and Sharepoint with a re-occurring model.

I'm 35 and retro gaming to me is AOE type stuff, and I know that gaming goes so much farther back than that but how far are we talking? Like SimANT, SIM City floppy disk stuff? Those people don't pay my daughters tuition.

Congrats on the 286 though, I'm sure that will do quite well in your inventory, I'd send that straight to taxidermy.

The job was to make this computer boot, and I've accomplished that.

@sapphirescales I know your a longtime member here, longer than me I'm sure, maybe even a mod, but you can't be serious about this post... right?

Edit: Also... will they actually be able to sell this thing considering you need a flat bed to actually transport it? Probably not, also not my problem as long as I get paid.

Last edited:
Reactions: GTP
Are the caps leaking? Yes they are. Do I care? Nope, the system boots and is ready for sale with the DYNO and will no longer be my problem or the clients problem after sale, just like they bought it.
This is the bit I have issues with, much as it pains me to agree with @sapphirescales :eek:

Do they just want to patch it up to sell because it failed after they bought it? Or do they need a dyno, but lost faith in this one? Re-capping a motherboard is not arduous nor expensive and It would have been less pizza-tech to tell them what you found and ask what they wanted to do, even if you quoted extra for the more involved work. Otherwise, there's a hint of price gouging about your story – this section is world-readable, too: you might not want this kind of publicity.

Research the software? What software? a non existent company from 20+ years ago? They contacted the vendor, or the vendor that bought that vendor or the vendor that bought the vendors vendor, and they told them to buy a new DYNO.
It all depends on where the software is. You might be able to find it online in an old archive if the company doesn't have it available to download directly from their website. Or you might be able to transfer the software by itself to another installation of Windows.

Also, you keep refurbs with ISA slots in your garage?
No, but there are adapters available that allow you to use ISA over USB (this won't work with all ISA cards, but it works for a lot of them). There are even motherboards as new as LGA775 with ISA slots. I don't have that sort of thing sitting around in my shop, but it's entirely possible to build a new old stock system that would work for them.

right connections?
Yes - serial, parallel, etc. is all available via either expansion cards or USB. If you choose to go with USB, be aware that the software might not like that. I only use USB as a last resort.

Image drive onto an SSD? Image an IDE drive that is most likely dead onto an SSD with a mobo that has no SATA ports?
Jesus, ever heard of a SATA card? Or hell, even imaging to a CF card and booting from that would be better. Anything would be better than leaving that 20 year old hard drive to just grind itself to death.

Hopefully Windows XP will handle the change? You can't actually be serious here, BSOD GUARANTEED.
If the new board is similar enough, it won't BSOD. If it does and corrupts something it's not a big deal because you can image it again in 5 minutes.

Are the caps leaking? Yes they are. Do I care? Nope, the system boots and is ready for sale with the DYNO and will no longer be my problem or the clients problem after sale, just like they bought it.
Lawsuits suck, my man. If they get sued for selling a piece of crap, they'll probably sue you in turn. Huge can of worms there.

You work on old vintage computers? I'm sorry, that's a tough time/cost ratio to take on since most people are cheap as hell and they run their businesses off $400 garbage PC's.
Actually it's very profitable. Just like my regular clients, I target clients that are willing to pay big bucks to keep their equipment. Replacing a $100,000 machine vs. spending a few thousand to get a new computer working with their old machine is a no-brainer.

I know your a longtime member here, longer than me I'm sure, maybe even a mod, but you can't be serious about this post... right?
Yes, I'm serious. Yes, the job is a PITA, but I'm happy to take PITA jobs if they pay me appropriately. If they balked at the price estimate (I would've estimated $2,000 - $5,000), I would have offered to keep the bad caps in there and do exactly what you did, but I'd make them sign a form saying that they're going against my recommendations and that I won't be held responsible for any future problems.

Hell, if you want to be lazy, just order something from these guys:

https://www.nixsys.com/shop/legacy-computers/isa-slot-computers/

They sell new old stock computers from that era. Then either find/download the software or transfer the software itself, or transfer the entire OS over to an SSD or CF card, transfer the ISA cards, and viola! New computer. I'd build it myself though because I could do it for 1/2 the price or less compared to buying from these guys.

Re-capping a motherboard is not arduous nor expensive and It would have been less pizza-tech to tell them what you found and ask what they wanted to do, even if you quoted extra for the more involved work.

I forgot to mention this in my original post, but yeah, re-capping the board and imaging the hard drive to an SSD/CF card would be the absolute minimum that I would do. I'd still recommend a new system though. 20 years is hella old.

This is the bit I have issues with, much as it pains me to agree with @sapphirescales :eek:

Do they just want to patch it up to sell because it failed after they bought it? Or do they need a dyno, but lost faith in this one? Re-capping a motherboard is not arduous nor expensive and It would have been less pizza-tech to tell them what you found and ask what they wanted to do, even if you quoted extra for the more involved work. Otherwise, there's a hint of price gouging about your story – this section is world-readable, too: you might not want this kind of publicity.

The job was to patch it up for resale. Get it working to get it out of their and my hands.

The job was to patch it up for resale.
I guarantee you that if you tell them that you put a band-aid on it and that it could go at any time because you left leaking capacitors in there, they'd be f*cking P*ssed. That's a pizza tech move. If you charged pizza tech prices they might be okay with it, but you charged them a crap ton of money and they expect the thing to be fixed and work for the foreseeable future. It would be one thing if you had informed them of the problem and given them the option, but you just ignored it and called it fixed because the thing fired up.

I understand it's old. You could've re-capped the board and something else could go out on it the very next day because the sucker is so old. But to actually SEE a problem and not tell your client about it and give them the choice to fix it is terrible.

I'm never one to say that someone charged too much. You can charge whatever you want so long as you do things right and everyone is satisfied in the end. What you did (or didn't do in this case) was wrong not because of how much you charged, but because you saw a problem and ignored it. You approached this whole job so flippantly, demanding to be paid whether you actually fixed it or not, jury rigged it together, then tossed it back to them like a hot potato with the attitude of "*shrug* not my problem." Absolutely disgraceful.

Reactions: NJW
It all depends on where the software is. You might be able to find it online in an old archive if the company doesn't have it available to download directly from their website. Or you might be able to transfer the software by itself to another installation of Windows.

No, but there are adapters available that allow you to use ISA over USB (this won't work with all ISA cards, but it works for a lot of them). There are even motherboards as new as LGA775 with ISA slots. I don't have that sort of thing sitting around in my shop, but it's entirely possible to build a new old stock system that would work for them.

Yes - serial, parallel, etc. is all available via either expansion cards or USB. If you choose to go with USB, be aware that the software might not like that. I only use USB as a last resort.

Jesus, ever heard of a SATA card? Or hell, even imaging to a CF card and booting from that would be better. Anything would be better than leaving that 20 year old hard drive to just grind itself to death.

If the new board is similar enough, it won't BSOD. If it does and corrupts something it's not a big deal because you can image it again in 5 minutes.

Lawsuits suck, my man. If they get sued for selling a piece of crap, they'll probably sue you in turn. Huge can of worms there.

Actually it's very profitable. Just like my regular clients, I target clients that are willing to pay big bucks to keep their equipment. Replacing a $100,000 machine vs. spending a few thousand to get a new computer working with their old machine is a no-brainer.

Yes, I'm serious. Yes, the job is a PITA, but I'm happy to take PITA jobs if they pay me appropriately. If they balked at the price estimate (I would've estimated $2,000 - $5,000), I would have offered to keep the bad caps in there and do exactly what you did, but I'd make them sign a form saying that they're going against my recommendations and that I won't be held responsible for any future problems.

Hell, if you want to be lazy, just order something from these guys:

https://www.nixsys.com/shop/legacy-computers/isa-slot-computers/

They sell new old stock computers from that era. Then either find/download the software or transfer the software itself, or transfer the entire OS over to an SSD or CF card, transfer the ISA cards, and viola! New computer. I'd build it myself though because I could do it for 1/2 the price or less compared to buying from these guys.

I guess the piece missing from this is the relationship I have with the client. I've been burned on SSD/W10 upgrades for them having an "in house" guy do those instead of me. Ultimately this client is a <$2000 a year client for me and they are cheap, so they aren't looking for long term here there are looking for a quick fix to get it out of their possession.

I cannot turn this client into a long term $10k+ MSP client, they aren't that. I only see them for dumb **** like hey the printer isn't working, or hey the dropbox isn't working. So they aren't a "good" client by any means, for me they are a grab and go client. No contract, no obligation, you want this done and I'll do it and bill you for it. I'm honestly not looking for a long term profit relationship with these people, it's extremely short term.

These people aren't people I legit care about they are auto people and in my experience the grease heads like these guys don't make for long term profitability but if they got the problem and the cash I got the time.

I guarantee you that if you tell them that you put a band-aid on it and that it could go at any time because you left leaking capacitors in there, they'd be f*cking P*ssed. That's a pizza tech move. If you charged pizza tech prices they might be okay with it, but you charged them a crap ton of money and they expect the thing to be fixed and work for the foreseeable future. It would be one thing if you had informed them of the problem and given them the option, but you just ignored it and called it fixed because the thing fired up.

I understand it's old. You could've re-capped the board and something else could go out on it the very next day because the sucker is so old. But to actually SEE a problem and not tell your client about it and give them the choice to fix it is terrible.

I'm never one to say that someone charged too much. You can charge whatever you want so long as you do things right and everyone is satisfied in the end. What you did (or didn't do in this case) was wrong not because of how much you charged, but because you saw a problem and ignored it. You approached this whole job so flippantly, demanding to be paid whether you actually fixed it or not, jury rigged it together, then tossed it back to them like a hot potato with the attitude of "*shrug* not my problem." Absolutely disgraceful.

Last time I was out there to initially diagnose the computer I actually showed them the blown capacitors and that is why I initially thought it was a motherboard. Honestly I, and he just wants the system bootable to get rid of it. They don't want it anymore.

I've been burned on SSD/W10 upgrades for them having an "in house" guy do those instead of me.
Have you never changed a blown tail light yourself, but still gone to the garage for something that you can't/won't do yourself? Is your client selection always "all or nothing"? Good for you, if you can afford that attitude.

You are missing the point that I am not his IT guy or his friend. He calls for broken and I fix it. There is literally zero relationship. He doesn't care about his stuff obviously otherwise he would have bought something actually worthwhile, and I don't care about his stuff because he only pays me when it breaks, I come make it work and he writes the check.

Last time I was out there to initially diagnose the computer I actually showed them the blown capacitors and that is why I initially thought it was a motherboard. Honestly I, and he just wants the system bootable to get rid of it. They don't want it anymore.

Okay, fair enough. I just hope you explained that they still need to be replaced and that they could go at any time. You can't assume that people know stuff because end users are clueless. I always give them a quote for fixing everything PROPERLY. If they balk at the price then I'll give them shoddier options (making sure they are aware that I do NOT recommend going this route and that the fix is TEMPORARY).

These people aren't people I legit care about they are auto people and in my experience the grease heads like these guys don't make for long term profitability but if they got the problem and the cash I got the time.

You know your clients better than I do. I have some very good automotive clients but I've done work for some really sh*tty ones too.

Have you never changed a blown tail light yourself, but still gone to the garage for something that you can't/won't do yourself? Is your client selection always "all or nothing"? Good for you, if you can afford that attitude.

Sure, fix this tail light on this $5,000 car so I can sell it. I can't sell a car without a taillight. Hey bro your oil is leaking, I don't care I just need the light fixed so I can sell it. Well your oil is leaking we need to get that fixed before you sell it, it's gunna cost $$$, nah man just fix the light i'll deal with the rest of it.

Okay, fair enough. I just hope you explained that they still need to be replaced and that they could go at any time. You can't assume that people know stuff because end users are clueless. I always give them a quote for fixing everything PROPERLY. If they balk at the price then I'll give them shoddier options (making sure they are aware that I do NOT recommend going this route and that the fix is TEMPORARY).

You know your clients better than I do. I have some very good automotive clients but I've done work for some really sh*tty ones too.

I agree one of my best clients is in Auto, he came to my wedding and he's my business mentor actually, guys a millionaire. These guys wouldn't be the first guys to make a car runnable just to sell it, they are scumbags not me. They bought the garbage and they want me to make wine out of water. I did it, the task is accomplished, I made them aware of the issues the computer had in regards to blown caps and they said QUOTE: "Just make it run so we can sell it."

Not to mention old mobos last ages compared to moderm mobos.

... he only pays me when it breaks, I come make it work and he writes the check.
<Shrug> Nothing wrong with that – welcome to my world.
Well your oil is leaking we need to get that fixed before you sell it, it's gunna cost $$$, nah man just fix the light i'll deal with the rest of it.
Not really: more like, "you know there's an oil leak? You really need to get it seen to." But you say that you pointed out the bulging caps, so I withdraw that aspect of my griping.

A $5000 car? I don't usually go that high ... ;)
Not to mention old mobos last ages compared to moderm mobos.
Hmm, maybe. But not with those caps.

Yeah I guess the thing is here that I look at this client like I am replaceable, and I'm fine with that, if I'm replaceable then I'm going to go ahead and make my money while you use me.

Back