[SOLVED] Seems like a classic Win 7 to 10 upgrade slowdown - SSD fix

Joe K

Reaction score
After fixing my own laptop slam after a Win 10 upgrade by going back to the most recent restore point (and installing a new SSD), a buddy asked me to fix his slow laptop. Turns out he hasn't used his HP Pavilion in 2 years since it was first upgraded from Win 7 to 10.

Task Manager showed the drive was pegged for about 20 minutes after logging in.

upload_2019-10-11_10-8-44.png

I tried uninstalling Avast and COMODO, but that didn't help. Windows wanted to upgrade itself as did CCleaner, but I said no, we'll do that after after the drive is upgraded. Here's the before and the after ratings in CrystalDiskMark:

upload_2019-10-11_10-10-48.png
The drive was clearly the problem. Now a Task Manager sample shows: CPU 4%, Memory 39%, Disk 2%, Network 11%. After about a 10 second wait for the Windows login screen, Windows is ready to go as soon as you log in. And Windows 10 is now up to date.

Here are the instructions I followed on the SSD install, a WD 500 GB SSD for a mere $65:

https://kb.sandisk.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/11678/kw/

The hardest part was learning how to get the cover off the back of the machine for access to the old HDD. The battery release button also releases the HDD cover. I took all those screws off the back of the machine for no reason. Hah!

Found out the Win 7 to 10 upgrade was done without payment to MS. I'd appreciate any advice you might be able to give about that. I informed the owner about the problem and gave it back to him.

When Win 7 goes obsolete in 2020, I bet there will be plenty of this kind of work.

Last edited:
Found out the Win 7 to 10 upgrade was done without payment to MS. I'd appreciate any advice you might be able to give about that. I informed the owner about the problem and gave it back to him.

This is not a problem. Upgrading a Win 7 machine (with a genuine valid Win 7 license) to Win 10 does not require payment to MS, just use the Win 7 COA serial for Win 10 and Win 10 will activate just fine. We do it all the time (as do most of the other techs on this forum).

(For future reference, when dealing with a slow machine, the FIRST thing you should do is check the HDs.)

...just use the Win 7 COA serial for Win 10 and Win 10 will activate just fine. We do it all the time (as do most of the other techs on this forum)
How do I acquire a "Win 7 COA serial for Win 10"?

...For future reference, when dealing with a slow machine, the FIRST thing you should do is check the HDs.
Gotcha. Did my 3rd SSD upgrade yesterday for my wife's computer from work. Done in about an hour. How do you check HDs? I've used the Windows Task Manager and CrystalDiskMark.

Last edited:
How do I acquire a "Win 7 COA serial for Win 10"?

From the COA on the computer:
a98d7289-247e-4d61-a6af-8a9c85704cc0

upload_2019-10-14_13-6-17.jpeg

Saw that on the laptop. The guy who did the upgrade must not have done it correctly. Thanks.
Turns out he hasn't used his HP Pavilion in 2 years since it was first upgraded from Win 7 to 10.
the Win 7 to 10 upgrade was done without payment to MS
Did not need it, It was already upgraded to 10 before you got it. Will auto-activate permanently in the future.

Did not need it, It was already upgraded to 10 before you got it. Will auto-activate permanently in the future.
There was something on the screen in the lower right hand corner in white letters about Win 10 verification or something. Wish I had taken down the exact wording. I did upgrade windows completely before giving the machine back to the owner and the white wording did not go away.

Then whomever installed Win 10 didn't put a key in.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 9 while driv ik gndjfhd

Back