Recalcitrant printer

HCHTech

Reaction score
I'm struggling with a network printer on a MacBook Pro (2018, I think) running Catalina. It's a Sharp Copier/MFP and according to the end user it just stopped working one day last week.

When I send a print job, the computer looks like it worked - I see the job come into the printer queue, and then leave it a few seconds later. At the copier, I see the job show up in the spooler, and then disappear a couple of seconds later, but nothing actually prints. A Windows machine in the same room prints just fine.

I've tried deleting and reinstalling the printer, I've downloaded the latest driver from Sharp, and finally, I've tried choosing each of the different print processors when installing (AirPrint, HP Jetdirect (Socket), Line Printer Daemon (LPD), or Internet Printing Protocol (IPP)). but nothing has helped. The default selection here is IPP, and that's what the original install was set to. I've tried checking the "Use Generic Features" or whatever that checkbox is labeled, but that also didn't help. I've also tried a fresh reboot on the Mac and a power-cycle on the copier just for fun, which didn't change anything.

When installing, the printer is never detected outright, I have to choose "by IP" and then type in the static IP of the printer, but it always finds and identifies the printer correctly. I can bring up the web interface of the printer just fine by clicking that button in settings.

I ended up leaving this at the feet of the copier vendor for now - maybe some update to Catalina broke the process so a firmware update for the device is required - something like that anyway.

Did I miss anything?

Back