How can domain users clear server print queue?

HCHTech

Reaction score
I'm looking for a way to setup a self-service ability for any domain user to be able to clear out a stuck print queue on the app server. There is some kind of bug either in a software they use, the firmware of a very expensive wide-format printer, the server OS or something. We've been wrestling with the problem for months and all parties are just pointing fingers at the others.

The printer is shared from the server. About once a week a print job will get hung up and the fix is to manually log onto the server, stop the spooler service, clear out the C:\Windows\System32\spool\PRINTERS directory and then restart the spooler, then have the user resend the job (which always works). In fact, I've written a batch file to do this quickly just to save time. Unfortunately, just cancelling the stuck job from the originating workstation doesn't work.

Is there any way to set up this task so that it can be triggered by a domain user without logging into the server? Kludges happily accepted since we're pretty much out of options until they replace that printer I'm thinking.

Also, the Print Management app can be run on any Windows system(Start key type Print Management) so any user with print management rights can control the printers, which can be given globally or assigned to individual printers.

As mentioned give them Print Management permissions on the printer, just assign that to Domain Users, it's not a default.

In addition....since having the print jobs spool on the server (stand in line, versus..collisions from random workgroup sending), take a look at why the jobs are getting hung up. First place I'd look it at the drivers, ensure same version on the server as the workstations (easily done with the print deploy GPO). Possibly have to separate printer driver shares....have a PCL6 shared out...and maybe a PS shared out for graphically intensive jobs like huge PDF files. Maybe in the printer properties on the server side, process on workstations, or some other toggle switch. Some research and trial and error likely needed here...but yeah I'd find out why its jamming up so much....

What's the make and model of the printer?

HP Designjet T2300

Why are the print jobs run on the server and not the local PCs?

They have 4 shared printers installed this way and all seem to work fine. This occasional document jamming on the Designjet is the only real problem. The box for "Render print jobs on client computers" is indeed checked. We use a GPO to deploy the printers.

Also, the Print Management app can be run on any Windows system(Start key type Print Management) so any user with print management rights can control the printers, which can be given globally or assigned to individual printers.

We had previously assigned print management rights to the "everyone" group as part of troubleshooting, but we haven't asked anyone to use the local print management app when it jams - this is a good call...

Back