[REQUEST] What residential printer should I buy?

Metanis

Reaction score
I've had an Epson WorkForce 845 for more than a decade now. It's been a real workhorse and I've been very happy with it. Hell, it even got hit by lightning which permanently ruined the USB and the Ethernet port but Wi-Fi still works great!

Now lately the print quality has deteriorated and no amount of nozzle or head cleaning has seemed to improve it. I'm using new Epson ink too. I think the device is just getting old. Like it's owner!

So I'm looking for recommendations since I've tried very hard to ignore the home printer market for many years!

The printer is used primarily for doing shipping labels for the US Postal Service and UPS. I also use the flatbed scanner A LOT! The ADF is not used often. Wi-Fi is mandatory but the printer is physically only 1 meter from the Wi-Fi router so even "N" would be plenty fast enough. I no longer bother with Fax even though I still have a landline available for it. Web faxing is so much faster and easier.

I've been happy with Epson but I've worked with Brother, Canon, and HP printers a lot with my customers. I hate all their software installation routines but my least favorite is HP by a wide margin.

I haven't began to shop by price as that's not going to be the deciding factor. Amortized over 10 years the price isn't going to matter much. Any all-in-one devices you guys absolutely love? Thanks in advance for any guidance you can provide!

I really like Canon's MegaTank and Epson's EcoTank lines of multi-functions if you're going the inkjet route. Canon even has one called the Maxify that uses all pigment-based ink.

The savings in ink that you achieve by having the refillable tanks (not cartridges, tanks that feed the print head) easily offset the additional cost at purchase. Even more so if you buy third-party ink in bulk-sized bottles. I've had a set of CMYK and pigmented black quart-sized bottles I've been using to refill cartridges for many years now for my Canon Pixma TS6300 series printer that I bought ARC cartridges for.

When it comes time to replace this printer, since I don't really need or want a laser printer here at home, I will definitely be looking at one of those two lines.

Personally I go for a Color Laser at home. I don't really print much at a home. Figured I wanted color in case I ever needed it. Now keep in mind I bought this printer at a thrift store for $15. Pretty good steal. Cannon MF733Cdw. Not bad for a $500 printer. But if I had the money to spare I would buy a new one if needed.

The main point of laser for me is there is no ink to dry up/clog the heads. I use my printer so infrequently that I would have to buy cartridges anytime I use it.

For instance I bought a monochrome Brother laser from a thrift store for like $10 in 2006 when I was a teenager. I bought a toner back then. I think I finally bought my second toner a couple years ago. Worked every time I plugged it in and printed.

I prefer lasers for other reasons too. Reparability and parts availability is one. For instance I have a client that has had LaserJet P2055 units for well over a decade. Some have been through multiple maintenance kits.

For personal use I buy Epson XP-240 WiFi/Multifunction from BigW when they are around the $35~$45 mark.
They come with 4 separate cartridges that cost $24 each to replace, so when it runs out of ink I sit it on the curb and someone takes it away.
Then I buy another new one ...

For clients it depends on need.

Personally I go for a Color Laser at home. I don't really print much at a home. Figured I wanted color in case I ever needed it. Now keep in mind I bought this printer at a thrift store for $15. Pretty good steal. Cannon MF733Cdw. Not bad for a $500 printer. But if I had the money to spare I would buy a new one if needed.

The main point of laser for me is there is no ink to dry up/clog the heads. I use my printer so infrequently that I would have to buy cartridges anytime I use it.

For instance I bought a monochrome Brother laser from a thrift store for like $10 in 2006 when I was a teenager. I bought a toner back then. I think I finally bought my second toner a couple years ago. Worked every time I plugged it in and printed.

I prefer lasers for other reasons too. Reparability and parts availability is one. For instance I have a client that has had LaserJet P2055 units for well over a decade. Some have been through multiple maintenance kits.
I worked at a place that up until around 2015 or so was still running a couple HP 5si

I prefer the laserjets, as well. Mine is an HP LaserJet P1006 and I've been using it for 20 years or more. I bought a 2nd one about 15 years ago, in case I needed to replace mine. It's still in the box it came in. I use mine quite a bit and it's a total workhorse. :)

Don't get an HP printer that has an "e" at the end of it's model name, unless you like being forced to use an HP account and activate it online before you can use it. Otherwise, I like HP.
Ugh yes a client bought a LaserJet that ended in. E. Next one they bought told them no E on the end!!

I really like Canon's MegaTank and Epson's EcoTank lines of multi-functions if you're going the inkjet route. Canon even has one called the Maxify that uses all pigment-based ink.

The savings in ink that you achieve by having the refillable tanks (not cartridges, tanks that feed the print head) easily offset the additional cost at purchase. Even more so if you buy third-party ink in bulk-sized bottles. I've had a set of CMYK and pigmented black quart-sized bottles I've been using to refill cartridges for many years now for my Canon Pixma TS6300 series printer that I bought ARC cartridges for.

When it comes time to replace this printer, since I don't really need or want a laser printer here at home, I will definitely be looking at one of those two lines.
I obtained an Epson Ecotank, the ET-4850 at work. I thought I'd never say this about a printer but here goes. It has been flawless for over a year.

I must live a very charmed life, both personally and professionally, but I have had very few issues with printers over the years. All eventually live out their service lives but during same, other than the occasional paper jam, I've not had major problems.

But from what I have observed and heard talked about, I still prefer Canon, Epson, and Brother printers over others.

The only HP Printers I swear by are the LaserJets we use for our POS invoices. HP M401n. We have 3 @ 11 years and counting. We print approximately 200 pages a day, 5 days a week.
I get the aftermarket toner on E-bay, a 20 pack of the high-capacity version for $235 with a dud ratio of 2 per 20.

Back