Preparing for the worst with Windows 11...how do I use sysprep and restore client data?

This, of course, is subject to change at any given moment in time. What's "latest" right now may not be so in several hours.

Agreed. We'll see many variations. Jus thought I read the current (this weeks) version was supposed to tighten up on the rules for minimum requirements.

By end of this year I'll be replacing my HP rig with a Lenovo Tiny Workstation anyways

Jus thought I read the current (this weeks) version was supposed to tighten up on the rules for minimum requirements.

And it did, at least what's available somewhere. There were two articles on BleepingComputer that went up in very rapid succession where the first machine that was "below spec" installed just fine, but a couple of hours later, another refused to due to being below spec.

Knowing exactly who's got what ISO, and from where, even if they're all MS-sourced, is much like a game of 3-card monte right now.

Yeah I don't do it from an ISO unless it was direct from MS.
Mine went in via Microsoft Updates..so it was the latest as of yesterday I think....or was it 2x days ago when I pulled the trigger. Tired today, can't keep track.

And it did, at least what's available somewhere. There were two articles on BleepingComputer that went up in very rapid succession where the first machine that was "below spec" installed just fine, but a couple of hours later, another refused to due to being below spec.

Knowing exactly who's got what ISO, and from where, even if they're all MS-sourced, is much like a game of 3-card monte right now.
Microsoft has rolled out different builds to different groups before in early insider builds. Also while I don't think they are enforcing any CPU rules they do appear to be enforcing the TPM rules IF your hardware supports it but it is turned off or CAN support it but you don't have a module. If there's no way to have a proper TPM module you seem to be getting a free ride for now. YMMV

Sooo...has anyone else been stopped at the download stage from whynotwin11.com with warning about malware?

I haven't tried downloading from there, but only from the GitHub page. I have not had a single download warning, nor any detection afterward. I have had SmartScreen do it's thing where I have to hit the More info link then Run anyway button. But that's not uncommon for any "home grown" unsigned software.

VirusTotal says says two out of 68 AV vendors flag it, but lists only Sophos as one of them.

Edit: Oops! I see that Bkav Pro was the other AV vendor that detected it. Never heard of them.

Last edited:
Warning from what? Uploaded to virus total?
I trust Emsisoft. False positive or not.
It flagged as Trojan.GenericKD.37158995 (B)

I dont need the file that bad that I risk compromising mine, or my clients PC's.
I'm not going to disable security to download it just to see what Virus Total says.

I'm sure MS will have something like the Update Readiness Tool for this soon enough.

That website is not affiliated with the tool.

See this github issue with a response from the developer:

This website is not owned, operated, or affiliated with me. I'll see if I can get contact information via WHOIS or another means but definitely sketch. It's my fault for not buying the domain

But, it appears that whynotwin11.ORG is. This is a screenshot from the software, directly downloaded from GitHub this afternoon (version 2.3.0):

WhyNotWin11_from_GitHub.jpg

I'm sure MS will have something like the Update Readiness Tool for this soon enough.
They do/did, its called WindowsPCHealthCheckSetup with filename WindowsPCHealthCheckSetup.msi but i cant find the actual MS link anymore as https://download.microsoft.com/down...55-bc657c939b47/WindowsPCHealthCheckSetup.msi that i downloaded from no longer works.

The Trojan is probably detected because of the way some of the detection works, as the code is on github if you know what you are looking for you could check and im sure others already have done. There is an issue on github which says it is a false positive https://github.com/rcmaehl/WhyNotWin11/issues/49

Back