Outlook crashing for a large amount of my clients.

thecomputerguy

Reaction score
Phone has been endlessly ringing this morning because Outlook is crashing on launch. That's the first symptom I'm seeing. Working on getting through these phone calls to see about other symptoms.

Checked outlook on my own computer and it does the same thing. Launch, wait about 5 seconds and Outlook crashes even with no mail account configured.

Here are the logs from two computers, still working on locating a fix.

Faulting application name: OUTLOOK.EXE, version: 16.0.13001.20266, time stamp: 0x5ef2a169
Faulting module name: mso98win32client.dll, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x5ef2771f
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x00000000000beef2
Faulting process id: 0x19fc
Faulting application start time: 0x01d65ac535b7d64e
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Root\Office16\OUTLOOK.EXE
Faulting module path: C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Office16\mso98win32client.dll
Report Id: b3c6c825-a879-497a-bca7-7a680d42833b
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:

Faulting application name: OUTLOOK.EXE, version: 16.0.13001.20266, time stamp: 0x5ef262ee
Faulting module name: OUTLOOK.EXE, version: 16.0.13001.20266, time stamp: 0x5ef262ee
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x00241d26
Faulting process id: 0x2270
Faulting application start time: 0x01d65ac42201bc33
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\root\Office16\OUTLOOK.EXE
Faulting module path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\root\Office16\OUTLOOK.EXE
Report Id: 94c0872a-4391-414c-9802-e61bedf1650a
Faulting package full name:

So far tried

Outlook.exe /resetnavpane
Outlook.exe /safe
New Profile
Updated office
Uninstalled all updates installed on 7/14

Still crashing

Last edited:
Trying opening task manager and killing out all outlook processes. Not just outlook.exe, but the sender and any other stuff should be 3 or so. I don’t remember the names off the top of my head. But do that and then try opening outlook again.

Trying opening task manager and killing out all outlook processes. Not just outlook.exe, but the sender and any other stuff should be 3 or so. I don’t remember the names off the top of my head. But do that and then try opening outlook again.

That's not it ... I don't have Outlook configured on my computer, its a blank data file with no mail configured. Still crashing.

It's acting like a bad Windows update or something but not sure ... still trying to find a fix for it.

Last edited:
Same problem. I'm looking at 4 computers so far with this problem. I cannot seem to understand which updates caused this since I have no deployed anything from my RMM yet. i've done everything as above even creating a new user.

Same problem. I'm looking at 4 computers so far with this problem. I cannot seem to understand which updates caused this since I have no deployed anything from my RMM yet. i've done everything as above even creating a new user.

The fix is an Office Rollback

cd “\Program Files\Common Files\microsoft shared\ClickToRun”
officec2rclient.exe /update user updatetoversion=16.0.12827.20470

Yup we did this a few times already, works great.
"click to run" updates behind the scenes a lot, so no use search add/remove programs to look for something to uninstall.

I guess the only option right now is to roll-back then turn off updates until MS fixes it then go back and turn updates back on? So LAME

I'm dealing with this too, in my case any build 2006 installs Outlook simply doesn't launch.

I'm freezing updates, and running this:
Code:
"c:\program files\common files\microsoft shared\clicktorun\officec2rclient.exe" /update user updatetoversion=16.0.12827.20470

To take systems back to the last build of 2005 from the middle of last month.

My m365 users are leaving me alone this morning, because they were all installed in the semiannual channel. But they will by default be in the Monthly channel and this issue crops up.

Strange thing? I've got one site with 15 machines with office 2016/2019 Home and Business on them, and 1 of them... ONE OF THEM works fine. The rest? No outlook until I fall back to 12827.20470.

Yep - we've gotten a half-dozen of these today as well. The rollback command has fixed each one. It looks like MS is aware of the problem, hopefully they will pull the update.

Can also verify that there is no consistency to this. I keep hearing, "Why am I the only one with this problem if it's worldwide and no one else at my company is having this issue."

Can't really answer that. Some people get it and some people don't.

Also, how do you guys normally charge for stuff like this? I've been troubleshooting this since 7AM so I'm obviously not going to pin the entire length of my time on the first client to bring it to my attention.

I'm thinking about just dropping an hour of labor on anyone who needs the rollback to spread out the compensation.

I will eventually have to contact the clients again to turn their updates back on which will come with it's own set of idiocy I'm sure.

Also, how do you guys normally charge for stuff like this? I've been troubleshooting this since 7AM so I'm obviously not going to pin the entire length of my time on the first client to bring it to my attention.

I'm thinking about just dropping an hour of labor on anyone who needs the rollback to spread out the compensation.

I will eventually have to contact the clients again to turn their updates back on which will come with it's own set of idiocy I'm sure.

So far these were all MSP clients, so it's already part of my fee.
But for others... just charge the hour I guess?

Can also verify that there is no consistency to this. I keep hearing, "Why am I the only one with this problem if it's worldwide and no one else at my company is having this issue."

Can't really answer that. Some people get it and some people don't.

Office updates when the system restarts in most cases. But the Office updates don't run on the same schedule as Windows update.

So for my managed users... they all last restarted June 10th. Which would put them on Office Version 2005 (Build 12827.20336).

Version 2005 (Build 12827.20470) then came out on the 24th

Version 2006 (Build 13001.20266) then came out on the 30th

Version 2006 (Build 13001.20384) followed yesterday, July 14th

The two 13001 builds are not working for me, but I have two machines using Version 2006 (Build 13001.20266) just fine.

Anyone that rebooted for Windows updates last night, because patch Tuesday... and did the same last month would have jumped from Office Version 2005 (Build 12827.20336) to Version 2006 (Build 13001.20384) and landed in a crater. Anyone that rebooted earlier might be on Version 2006 (Build 13001.20266) and still working. Others aren't having issues because they haven't restarted yet!

My point is, if you're using Office 2016, Office 2019, or M365 and you're getting updates monthly, on next reboot, Outlook is very likely to take a hike.

Back