Avast fixes bug blocking programs from starting in Windows 10

Porthos

Reaction score
A bug has been fixed in AVG and Avast security applications that set registry keys that blocked applications from running in Windows 10.

This past week, Windows 10 users began to complain [1, 2, 3, 4, 5] that they were unable to launch Microsoft Office and other applications in Windows 10.

When attempting to do so, they were shown a message similar to "Windows cannot find 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\root\Office16\WORD.EXE'. Make sure you typed the name correctly, and then try again," as shown below.

word-blocked.jpg

While initially thought to be either an Avast or Windows 10 cumulative update issue, it was confirmed that the issue was caused by Avast and AVG programs installed on a computer.

A component of the AVG/Avast security software causes Image File Execution Options registry entries to be created for various applications that would launch applications through a filter that points to C:\Program Files (x86)\AVAST Software\Avast Cleanup\autoreactivator.exe.

A recent update broke something in this filter that was causing the programs to not launch.

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/ne...locking-programs-from-starting-in-windows-10/

And people wonder why I stopped using these products years ago...

This is the FOURTH feature update problem Avast! has caused. I suppose we should be grateful it's fixable, and not rendering the unit unbootable.

@Porthos, same... though on occasion I'll make an exception for Emsisoft for the clients that need the reporting. Though most of those sites are edging into Microsoft 365 Business Premium, which includes centrally managed advanced defender... which is actually quite nice.

Back