Outlook 2010 H&B Crashing

Technicholls

Reaction score
I have a client running Outlook Home & Business 2013 on a Win7 Pro x64 PC in a Domain connected to a 2007 Exchange Server running on a 2003 R2 Std server.
Outlook crashes randomly at least daily with the message:

Outlook has stopped working.
> Check on-line for a solution
> Restart the program

I've disabled unnecessary Add-ins, rebuilt the client's profile and turned off indexing for Outlook.

Found this in the Application Logs:
Faulting application name: OUTLOOK.EXE, version: 15.0.4763.1002, time stamp: 0x5615b033
Faulting module name: ntdll.dll, version: 6.1.7601.19018, time stamp: 0x5609fe30
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x0003d968
Faulting process id: 0x3dec
Faulting application start time: 0x01d117c52b315cfb
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office 15\root\office15\OUTLOOK.EXE
Faulting module path: C:\Windows\SysWOW64\ntdll.dll
Report Id: 4c8538fe-83f4-11e5-adbd-2025640c1a90

For the past week I've had the client running Outlook in Safemode and it hasn't crashed once.

Any Ideas would be appreciated.

Did this just start yesterday? KB3097877 caused me some grief yesterday:

http://www.infoworld.com/article/30...ook-causes-network-sign-in-black-screens.html

Interesting article but, no. The client has had this problem for over a week now. I performed a System restore back to before the problem started, didn't help. I ran a Repair on Office but that also didn't help. I created a new OUTLOOK profile, didn't help. Again, there has been no crashing while Outlook runs in safemode.

Have you tried running the scanpst tool against the data file?

This also sort of reminds me of an issue I had with Outlook where the custom view was causing the crashing. Resetting the view to default resolved the issue... I believe it was a command suffix that had to be added... something like "clean view"

Have you tried running the scanpst tool against the data file?

This also sort of reminds me of an issue I had with Outlook where the custom view was causing the crashing. Resetting the view to default resolved the issue... I believe it was a command suffix that had to be added... something like "clean view"
I haven't ran the SCANPST because as an Exchange account this is a OST data file I have deleted the OST and allowed Exchange to recreate it but didn't resolve anything.

What A/V do they have? I would probably run Malwarebytes on it just to be sure, a lot of times issues elsewhere can cause Outlook crashes. It sounds like the problem is intermittent as well, can you ask the user to see if it crashes when they perform a specific action- such as clicking on a certain folder or email?

One thing to note is that Outlook, in Safe Mode, does not have the reading pane displayed. So it's possible that there is a bad email that is causing Outlook to crash when it is previewed in regular mode. This is something I learned yesterday when dealing with that botched MS update...

What A/V do they have? I would probably run Malwarebytes on it just to be sure, a lot of times issues elsewhere can cause Outlook crashes. It sounds like the problem is intermittent as well, can you ask the user to see if it crashes when they perform a specific action- such as clicking on a certain folder or email?

One thing to note is that Outlook, in Safe Mode, does not have the reading pane displayed. So it's possible that there is a bad email that is causing Outlook to crash when it is previewed in regular mode. This is something I learned yesterday when dealing with that botched MS update...
As an MSP we're running corporate Webroot via Connectwise. Scans have all come up negative. I have queried the user about specific task he may be performing at the time of the crash and I'm told it varies. He may be reading or writing an email, accessing a calendar item or editing a contact. Haven't found a common denominator yet.

Well I think we finally shot this bug. I ended up recreating the users domain profile on the PC. Hasn't crashed since. Thanks for all the replies.

Back