oki microdata 321 parallel to usb not working

ell

Reaction score
Hi, I just set up a new windows 7 machine for a customer, they had an old oki microdata 321 with just a parallel connector. We picked up a parallel to usb adapter cable and plugged it in, windows 7 has the oki microdata 321 driver but when I connect it windows creates a new IEEE-1284 controller device on usb that is not a printer and I cannot seem to load the oki microdata 321 drivers to. I tried to install the oki drivers to virtual usb and ltp1 there is no IEEE-1284 port. Is the problem with the cable???

Last edited:
I, like you, have had mixed success with Parallel to USB cables in general. Some printers are very picky about the COMs and simply will not work for whatever reason. Sometimes the cable is just a crappy brand, but it usually boils down to the device not liking the conversion.

The thing to do is to add a parallel expansion card.

I, like you, have had mixed success with Parallel to USB cables in general. Some printers are very picky about the COMs and simply will not work for whatever reason. Sometimes the cable is just a crappy brand, but it usually boils down to the device not liking the conversion.

The thing to do is to add a parallel expansion card.

well glad its that, been wracking my brains trying to figure it out!! This printer is so old and filthy, some things just won't die :p

when it comes to these printers the only stable success I have found between win7 and the printer is finding a parallel print server and running them as a network printer. I have found the conversion cables to be flaky at best :)

I had a similar problem; the older oki data printer that my client had didn't like the USB to parallel connector. I would try installing a Parallel PCI card -- that worked for me.

Donte

I had a similar problem; the older oki data printer that my client had didn't like the USB to parallel connector. I would try installing a Parallel PCI card -- that worked for me.

Donte

Thanks, shes going shopping, this old thing isn't worth the effort! Going to return the $30 cable. Any recommendations for a carbon multipage printer replacement?

Back