Walkman will not connect to computer

johnrobert

Reaction score
its a 2016 electronic walkman, windows 10, it does not show up in explorer, no error message
I guess because Walkman is USB 1 is there any workaround he does not use the laptop much and thinking of downgrading to Win 7 to load music
or a driver update on laptop

I'd go the driver update first.

USB beyond 1 (at least 2.0 and 3.0) should be fully backward compatible with USB 1.0.

I also would not rule out a problem with the device itself. The ports in these things go wonky not infrequently because people "wiggle the cable" to remove it and over time that results in breakage of/in the port.

And, as an aside, 2016 is not really "ancient history" per se when it comes to device connectivity with Windows 10. It was already one year old at that point and companies such as Sony were actively supporting Windows 10 by that point, for the most part. When that wasn't the case, most often the Windows 8.1 driver for a given device worked just fine under Windows 10 (often, so did the Windows 7 driver, too).

I'd go the driver update first.

USB beyond 1 (at least 2.0 and 3.0) should be fully backward compatible with USB 1.0.

I also would not rule out a problem with the device itself. The ports in these things go wonky not infrequently because people "wiggle the cable" to remove it and over time that results in breakage of/in the port.
This. The port is dead. If it was a driver issue it would show up in Device Manager with a yellow bang. USB mice are type 1 and work just fine. USB1 is 100% compatible with all future USB devices. You can even use a USB c to A adapter and plug up a USB mouse to a USB C port.

Back