Ok whats the deal with large companies not supporting IE 11?

knc

Reaction score
I can't believe how many companies don't support IE 11! Municipalities and I just got off the phone with General motors, and their GMglobalconnect website. Portions work others don't they and they don't support IE 10 or 11. They suggested rolling back to ie9, and don't support chrome or mozzilla.

How can this be after all of this time..

I run in to the same problem, not only with GM Globalconnect, but also NNAnet (Nissan's equivalent) and many other auto industry related websites.

For any website, but particularly the enormous, complicated, technically challenged, and crappy auto manufacturer sites, it takes time, money and effort to ensure compatibility. Once they've done it once it doesn't happen again anytime soon.

When browsers change, how websites interact with them must change as well. They simply can't keep up with the speed of browser innovation (such as it is) much less innovation on multiple browser platforms like Chrome, Firefox, Safari, etc.

In similar fashion, they skip over supported Windows versions. XP yes (until recently), Vista no, 7 yes, 8 no, etc.

Exclusively? No. But I guess in the end almost everything comes back to the workbench links. It's the main way users access what they need: Order, Service, Sales, Parts, Business Admin.

We also have problems with the security functions. Passwords not being recognized, unhelpful error messages, etc. Those are sometimes resolved by clearing cookies/temp.

It's a mess. All the way back to when it was GM Dealerworld and then changed to Globalconnect a few years ago but with Autopartners as the actual underlying site.

There's no easy answer, it's a pain in the butt.

Big Corporations and Governments don't adopt the latest version of any software because of the testing required prior to deploying it. Why do you think so many companies kept IE6 alive for so long and only went to IE9 a short time ago.

The same goes for their websites supporting the latest version of browsers. The cost would be too much for them to rewrite the site code to support the newest version every year or two.

There are many financial institutions that don't support Chrome or others like it because of the open architecture of the browser and the security risks that they have to write special code to close. IE doesn't have that open architecture.

None of this says it's right, but that's how big business works.

We've seen this too -- most recently with a website for a local ISP! We were able to "fix" the problem by turning on IE 11's compatibility mode for the domain. Everything worked again.

Give it a try and see if it helps.

Apparently gmglobalconnect made a huge infrastructure upgrade last week and think most problems will go away.

What is really sad is that some parts of Microsoft don't work correctly with it. I had to order my action pack using compatibility mode because I couldn't get to the checkout in IE 11 or Chrome or Firefox. #smh

Yeah many of the programs I work with and use in Medical field don't even work with IE 10 completely. Only recently did one of the EMR systems finally start.

Back