NumLock On/Off On-Screen Notification - Toggle Keys Related?

britechguy

Reaction score
Today I was setting up a new machine with Win11 Pro. Like one earlier one (both desktops) I kept getting a dialog box on boot about Toggle Keys, which I turned off.

On the first of the two, I did not ever see the following, even before Toggle Keys was turned off:
1684543173439.png

This thing is freakin' annoying, and tends to hang around for a very long while. Has anyone seen this before and, if so, found a way to get rid of it?

Thanks. I'll definitely check next week. I can't think of what I might have installed that would trigger this, other than one of the Logitech driver packages.

I'll report back on what I find. It would strike me as odd, in this case, if it were a BIOS thing, since these two machines were both custom built to the same specifications - they're as close to twins as one can get except that one has a graphics card and the other doesn't.

But "the stuff" that's on the office machine used for QuickBooks versus the CAD/CAM workstation differs quite a bit. I suspect we have a "tag along" of some sort on the QB box.

I think you misunderstood the OP’s issue. It’s not that NUMLOCK is off or on boot.. It’s the big, and lingering, graphic status icon on the screen when enabled/disabled that is his complaint.
Understood. But does it actually notify if it's not on in the same way it does if it's on? I know if Defender Firewall is off we'll get notifications but don't get them if it's on.

I have a Logitech wireless keyboard and the Logi options software displays a semitransparent box for the three main toggle buttons, num lock, caps lock , & scroll lock. But that only appears for less than a second and is gone.

I have a Logitech wireless keyboard

It will be interesting to see what's actually happening now. I used a Logitech mouse for setting up the machine and installed Logi Options thinking that this was the mouse that was intended to stay with that machine. However, it's not, we've put an existing wireless keyboard/mouse combo from a completely different brand on that machine.

It looked like this overlay was still being generated, but Friday was a marathon 5.75 hour session getting everything set up just for this office machine with QuickBooks, SoftMaker Free Office (at least for the time being), and more. By the time the end of the day hit, this particular issue, while annoying, wasn't something I was focused on. Making sure that the QuickBooks worked, and that that the data file was being backed up every time an Exit from Quickbooks is done was top of the list. Next will be making sure that the backup is backed up to cloud storage, but since a local account is what was set up initially for the person using QuickBooks, I didn't have OneDrive right there and ready to be the "backup for the backup" location.

Back