Bitlocker Status Out of the Box for Win11 Pro?

Only very cheap and some 2-in-1 laptops (e.g. Microsoft Surface) have soldered storage. The vast majority have M.2 drives that are removable by techs and enthusiasts. The inability to upgrade and replace parts is another trend that should be resisted.
The trend is expanding sadly. Apple has separated the storage from the controller, welded it into the CPU along with their variant of the TPM module. The storage is replaceable, the rest isn't. Oddly enough that's a compromise I'm almost OK with, since it separates the lock from the key if you're using TPM style control for encryption. Apple tends to lead the trend in such things.

Still, I'm seeing more and more mobile devices in general becoming just tablets. Combine that with a year over year decline in desktop sales? https://www.gartner.com/en/newsroom...s-declined-9-percent-in-third-quarter-of-2023

I'm very much NOT a fan of this chain of events, but the market seems to be marching us right into a place where all software that means anything is running on a web server somewhere, and all endpoints are just disposable, immutable windows that access it. Rather depressing personally if I'm honest.

There is some hope in the numbers linked above, take a peek at Apple vs the other vendors listed. They are by far the hardest hit, and the fact their most recent desktop offering is playing games with storage may just be part of it. But I'm not holding out much hope, the average consumer just doesn't know enough to care.

Back